News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Vote in the Catalan regional election!

Started by celedhring, August 24, 2015, 07:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalonia regional election: who would you vote for?

43 (84.3%)
1 (2%)
2 (3.9%)
1 (2%)
0 (0%)
3 (5.9%)
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 50

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 28, 2015, 07:02:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2015, 02:19:47 PM
Yes there is. Democracy and Republican government are impossible under this divisive and destructive doctrine.
there nothing divisive and destructive here.  Except the Spanish government attitude.
If you refuse independance to a people instead of negotiating, what you see is stuff like this.  More&more people flock to the cause and they radicalize themselves.  Next, the Spanish government sends in the army and they're surprise the people react violently.

Yeah because divided ourselves up into more and more states has got to be a win, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 28, 2015, 07:02:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2015, 02:19:47 PM
Yes there is. Democracy and Republican government are impossible under this divisive and destructive doctrine.
there nothing divisive and destructive here.  Except the Spanish government attitude.
If you refuse independance to a people instead of negotiating, what you see is stuff like this.  More&more people flock to the cause and they radicalize themselves.  Next, the Spanish government sends in the army and they're surprise the people react violently.

Well then when more and more people flock to the cause they can have a 75% mandate with a long list of grievances. But they are not waiting for that are they?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2015, 07:37:11 PM
Yeah because divided ourselves up into more and more states has got to be a win, no?

In smaller states nobody ever disagrees with each other.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

It is inefficient to have too many small states.  The administrative costs are too high, the possibility of having too many different sets of rules is too high, it does not facilitate trade, etc. 

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on October 28, 2015, 09:41:08 PM
It is inefficient to have too many small states.  The administrative costs are too high, the possibility of having too many different sets of rules is too high, it does not facilitate trade, etc.

Mono culture?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Many smaller states are less efficient but more stable and resistant to shock.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

The cool people agree.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on October 28, 2015, 09:49:31 PM

Mono culture?

:lol:

Let us start by abolishing the SAR in Hong Kong. :)

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2015, 09:30:36 PM
Well then when more and more people flock to the cause they can have a 75% mandate with a long list of grievances. But they are not waiting for that are they?
so, they should wait until the Spanish government acts like the Syrian government before they even think of independance?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2015, 07:37:11 PM
Ideally, one central government taking care of some core issues while other levels organize their own things.
Or a trully multi-ethnic/cultural government when a country is composed of many cultures, but you usually don't see that.  I don't think I've seen it in history either, where the dominant culture agrees to share power equally with its minorities.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 29, 2015, 08:45:03 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2015, 09:30:36 PM
so, they should wait until the Spanish government acts like the Syrian government before they even think of independance?

They should wait until they have a reason to be independent and have convinced most of the people that that is a good idea.

Martinus

Nationalism sucks. Unfortunately it has proven more resilient than it was thought 50 years ago.

celedhring

So, the separatist bloc (JxSí) needed the votes of a small, far left separatist party (CUP) that had vowed that they would never vote for their candidate, who's a pro-austerity conservative.

After 2-3 months of talks, where CUP insisted again and again that JxSí put another candidate forward, ultimately they reached a deal that included a diluted presidency, some token social investment, and reverting some privatizations. CUP presented the deal to their general assembly for approval. The party is deeply divided between the hardcore separatists that are willing to vote for the conservative candidate if it means furthering the road towards independence, and the hardcore anti-capitalists that will never vote for a conservative austerian.

The result of the vote? 1515 yay - 1515 nay  :lol:

Monoriu

Quote from: celedhring on December 28, 2015, 03:51:56 AM
So, the separatist bloc (JxSí) needed the votes of a small, far left separatist party (CUP) that had vowed that they would never vote for their candidate, who's a pro-austerity conservative.

After 2-3 months of talks, where CUP insisted again and again that JxSí put another candidate forward, ultimately they reached a deal that included a diluted presidency, some token social investment, and reverting some privatizations. CUP presented the deal to their general assembly for approval. The party is deeply divided between the hardcore separatists that are willing to vote for the conservative candidate if it means furthering the road towards independence, and the hardcore anti-capitalists that will never vote for a conservative austerian.

The result of the vote? 1515 yay - 1515 nay  :lol:

So what happens next?  Flip a coin?  :unsure:

celedhring

The party's leadership will meet next week to decide. It's gonna go down to the wire, since a president must be installed before January 9th or there will be be a repeat election.

The vote was expected to be very close, but no way they haven't rigged it just to take the piss out of the conservatives  :lol: