And we're back!

Main Menu

Two women pass ranger school

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2015, 11:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on August 18, 2015, 10:09:50 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 18, 2015, 10:07:16 AM
derspeiss' masculinity is threatened by the femirangers.

Nah, I think it's cute.  I'm just suspicious of this DoD.

Of course.  It is a bureaucracy.  I have no more faith in DoD than I have in Microsoft.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Britain's Tri-Service Review has a recent study out on women in ground close combat. Fascinating reading.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/389575/20141218_WGCC_Findings_Paper_Final.pdf

Mixed-gender combat units have lower survivability, a reduced lethality rate and a reduced deployability rate. And women are more than twice likelier to sustain injuries, etc, etc, etc.  :hmm:

Mother Nature: Confirmed non-progressive shitlord.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on August 19, 2015, 05:29:05 PM
Britain's Tri-Service Review has a recent study out on women in ground close combat. Fascinating reading.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/389575/20141218_WGCC_Findings_Paper_Final.pdf

Mixed-gender combat units have lower survivability, a reduced lethality rate and a reduced deployability rate. And women are more than twice likelier to sustain injuries, etc, etc, etc.  :hmm:

Excellent job of selective reading!

Reading without a prior bias, I, of course, get different conclusions (like those stated in the study).  But don't stop being a bigot; it's your most endearing trait here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Brazen on August 18, 2015, 09:53:38 AM
24% of males and 10% of females passed.
That doesn't prove anything.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2015, 02:35:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 18, 2015, 10:09:50 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 18, 2015, 10:07:16 AM
derspeiss' masculinity is threatened by the femirangers.

Nah, I think it's cute.  I'm just suspicious of this DoD.

Of course.  It is a bureaucracy.  I have no more faith in DoD than I have in Microsoft.

I wouldn't have much faith in any organization that employed you either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on August 18, 2015, 02:18:36 PM
Which is why we'll probably eventually hear some anecdotes if my suspicions are correct.

I don't know if it's still like this, but back when I was at Pcola SAR, they used to let female Aircrew and SAR students roll (repeat the course) essentially as many time as it took them to pass (or until they gave up), while the males would get one, MAYBE two shots, before being sent to the fleet or an A school as just a "regular" rating. 

Now aircrew has one specific rating, AW, and AFAIK they don't allow any other ratings, so if you wash out of the program, you might be headed to the fleet as an undesignated sailor, which seems like it would suck pretty hard.  I was an AW back then, but we had several other ratings in with us, as well as the Marines in my aircrew class. 

Marginal female students would have their scores/times/etc rounded up if they we kinda close and had already rolled a couple of times.  Males would get bitched out for only meeting the minimums. Forget any assistance making the program if your scores didn't add up. That, along with the fact that they would allow people who didn't previously know how to swim (!) into the program still makes me question how effective they are.  They're mixed together so they kinda get covered, but still. 

It was a little alarming being able to easily overpower (during pool training, I could have drowned several of them with no problem at all. Not kidding.) these students, and this wasn't limited to females, when they would train with us when they had been doing pretty much nothing but PT and swimming all day while we had been sitting around in an office or hangar watching TV and doing NATOPS "training." I don't want to make it sound like all female students were shit or anything. There were several very good female SAR swimmers in the classes that I saw, as well as some pitifully unqualified dudes, just an example of bending the rules and lowering the standards a little.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Legbiter on August 19, 2015, 05:29:05 PM

You missed the positive and neutral factors which were also identified. Also this report does not address the impact on CE of women who able to pass something as demanding as Ranger training.  If they bring positive influences and they meet the standard where is the downside?

Eddie Teach

QuoteIn general, women have smaller hearts

True.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 19, 2015, 06:39:38 PM
I don't know if it's still like this, but back when I was at Pcola SAR, they used to let female Aircrew and SAR students roll (repeat the course) essentially as many time as it took them to pass (or until they gave up), while the males would get one, MAYBE two shots, before being sent to the fleet or an A school as just a "regular" rating. 

I am as sure as I can be without actual evidence that females got disproportionately greater chances to complete Ranger training than men this cycle, just as I am as sure as I can be without actual evidence that black, Hispanics, etc got disproportionately greater chances to complete Ranger training than men in their first cycle.

That's the way bureaucracy works, and, frankly, given that I saw women introduced to the fleet for the first time firsthand, I think its only fair.  I'd bet that there were more instructors looking to fail them than there were instructors looking to fail any equivalent group of guys.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2015, 07:50:28 PM
QuoteIn general, women have smaller hearts

True.  :(
:lol:
A Brain-worthy quip.

Bayraktar!

Scipio

Two women pass ranger school, and we still can't get Jon Bon Jovi in a helicopter.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

mongers

Some old soldiers and sailors complaining about slipping standards, it's an institution dating back to .. Marathon perhaps?

IIRC there were some pretty silly extreme endurance marches in the Victorian British army, man I bet those guys, given the chance would bitch about modern SAS selection tasks.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 19, 2015, 07:45:09 PMYou missed the positive and neutral factors which were also identified. Also this report does not address the impact on CE of women who able to pass something as demanding as Ranger training.  If they bring positive influences and they meet the standard where is the downside?

The study is interestingly rather bipolar, the study observations are level 3 shitlord hatefacts but the commentary which ties it together is all frolicking unicorns shitting rainbows in terms of ease of implementation. Seems like 2 factions worked on it, one did the observations (presumably the infantry guys), the other did the editing.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.