News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Two women pass ranger school

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2015, 11:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2015, 10:05:03 AM
If somebody saying they were not lowered is not reasonable what would count?  :hmm:

If the women who passed were really cross-dressing men, that would be proof.   ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Brazen

Find the percentage passes for previous years. If they're significantly higher this year, that would be a basic indicator.

Valmy

According to this: http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/rtb/content/PDF/Ranger%20School%20web11.pdf

48.99% graduated from 2000-2012.

But I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing since that is twice as high.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Brazen on August 18, 2015, 10:14:50 AM
Find the percentage passes for previous years. If they're significantly higher this year, that would be a basic indicator.

It could be.  Or they could just disclose what the standards are and whether they have changed.

edit: this (along with the Marine thing I mentioned earlier) is what makes me question whether standards have been lowered: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2015/0529/All-8-women-fail-Ranger-School-Some-Rangers-say-standards-should-change-video
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Alcibiades

I'd be curious to see what leadership roles they received and were graded on during their 2nd and 3rd phases as this is what really can make it a hand out or exceptionally difficult.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

alfred russel

Quote from: Brazen on August 18, 2015, 09:52:16 AM
QuoteTo earn the Ranger tab, applicants must be able to complete 49 push-ups, 59 sit-ups, a five-mile run in 40 minutes, six chin-ups, a swimming test, a land navigation test, a 12-mile foot march in three hours, several obstacle courses, four days of military mountaineering, three parachute jumps, four air assaults on helicopters, multiple rubber boat movements and 27 days of mock combat patrols.
It annoys my OCD side that they didn't round up the push-ups and sit-ups to 50 and 60.

None of the quantifiable ones are very difficult (who knows what the land navigation test entails). My understanding is they put out those standards, but you aren't getting a ranger tab if you can do a max 55 push ups, 7 chin ups, and run 5 miles in 39 minutes. I've read speculation that the standards appear relatively easy so they can keep the massive washout rates (people sign up that think they can make the cut because they can meet the minimums, but really are woefully underprepared).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PRC

Quote from: alfred russel on August 18, 2015, 11:29:05 AM
QuoteTo earn the Ranger tab, applicants must be able to complete 49 push-ups, 59 sit-ups, a five-mile run in 40 minutes, six chin-ups, a swimming test, a land navigation test, a 12-mile foot march in three hours, several obstacle courses, four days of military mountaineering, three parachute jumps, four air assaults on helicopters, multiple rubber boat movements and 27 days of mock combat patrols.
It annoys my OCD side that they didn't round up the push-ups and sit-ups to 50 and 60.

None of the quantifiable ones are very difficult (who knows what the land navigation test entails). My understanding is they put out those standards, but you aren't getting a ranger tab if you can do a max 55 push ups, 7 chin ups, and run 5 miles in 39 minutes. I've read speculation that the standards appear relatively easy so they can keep the massive washout rates (people sign up that think they can make the cut because they can meet the minimums, but really are woefully underprepared).

Individually they aren't very difficult.  But combined is where the hardship comes in, it's constant physical and mental stress without much rest or food for the x amount of weeks it takes to get through it.

KRonn

Really. And why 27 days of mock combat patrols and not 30!  ;)

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2015, 10:18:40 AM
According to this: http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/rtb/content/PDF/Ranger%20School%20web11.pdf

48.99% graduated from 2000-2012.

But I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing since that is twice as high.

The ~49% includes a lot of retreads (people taking the course against after failing it the first time).  The ~24% was, as far as I can tell, just for this cycle.  The two women who passed were on their third try.  I'm sure a fair number of the men were, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

QuoteTwo women pass ranger school 

Is that the joke?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Speesh, I would take that bet if it were testable.  AFAIK everything is done in front of the whole class.  Too many witnesses with different agendas for a conspiracy.

Though I do agree it is in the military's interests for at least a few women to pass.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2015, 01:54:23 PM
Speesh, I would take that bet if it were testable.

Shock.

QuoteAFAIK everything is done in front of the whole class.  Too many witnesses with different agendas for a conspiracy.

Which is why we'll probably eventually hear some anecdotes if my suspicions are correct.

QuoteThough I do agree it is in the military's interests for at least a few women to pass.

It's something they really want, yes.  Whether it's in their best interests is debatable. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Admiral Yi

Ah.  I thought you were razzing me.