And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you work at Amazon?

Started by Syt, August 17, 2015, 05:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on August 19, 2015, 06:05:58 AM
Quote from: Warspite on August 19, 2015, 04:33:15 AM
Maybe I'm just awfully European about this, but having no life in the work/life balance looks like a terrible way to go through life. It's possible to work hard but efficiently; have time to pause, consider and self-reflect; and achieve big things without working 18-hour days.
The company I work for has decided that it should no longer be called "Work/Life-Balance", but just "Life Balance" where work is just one of four components next to family&friends, health and lifelong learning. We have guidelines for managers called "Respect limits", "Switch off", "Conciously build in breaks" or "Reconcile work and private life".

Well, I am glad this is at least becoming an option - until recently the expectation was that either you have no life or have a really shitty job (at least in Poland). It seems to me that now employers are consciously trying to create a more complete spectrum of choices.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on August 19, 2015, 07:01:31 AM
Maybe I'm just awfully European about this, but having no life in the work/life balance looks like a terrible way to go through life. It's possible to work hard but efficiently; have time to pause, consider and self-reflect; and achieve big things without working 18-hour days.
The company I work for has decided that it should no longer be called "Work/Life-Balance", but just "Life Balance" where work is just one of four components next to family&friends, health and lifelong learning. We have guidelines for managers called "Respect limits", "Switch off", "Conciously build in breaks" or "Reconcile work and private life".

Well, I am glad this is at least becoming an option - until recently the expectation was that either you have no life or have a really shitty job (at least in Poland). It seems to me that now employers are consciously trying to create a more complete spectrum of choices.
Or at least pretend to.  In a way I admire Amazon's honesty.  Look at Disney. Overnight they go from writing awesome performance reviews and discussing promotions to telling the same over achievers they are going to be training their offshored replacements.
PDH!

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on August 19, 2015, 05:36:32 AM
For example, when you work in highly demanding service industry with clients located in all time zones, closing the shop at a given hour is simply not an option no matter how efficient you are.

Sure, but what puts me off is industries where the expectation is to be frantic all the time, without relenting. The work I do can get pretty manic - 18 hour days, reams and reams of material to go through, and everything having to be done yesterday because CRISIS!!11 - but we're never expected to just look busy, being present for the sake of being present, so on and so forth.

One has to wonder what this frantic pace actually achieves. More than once, my girlfriend who is an associate at a magic circle firm has been given an zOMG URGENT TASK on Saturday night that a client absolutely desperately needs for Monday morning, only for her to deliver on time and then have the final result sat on for a week - with the e-mail unread.

I'm not saying there are not fast-paced industries, and I am not saying often the work isn't genuine, but I do wonder whether certain industries or hyper-competitive workplaces breed a culture of haste and mania. One of the most valuable skills I have learnt over the years is divining whether an urgent task is an urgent task or a whim, which so far has saved me a lot of weekends.  :D
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on August 19, 2015, 07:01:31 AM

If you want to be along the 2% of employees that make up the senior management and above, you'll have to work more and be available etc.
But these rules are meant to protect the other 98% of the workforce. Which covers all the expert white collar jobs, the lowest ranks of managers and even gives the more senior managers less incentive to overwork themselves add it slowly leads to a culture change here.
Next will be allowing more people to work mobile, so you can work at a time and place that is convenient. Our union will make sure this does not mean people work more.

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on August 19, 2015, 08:27:49 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 19, 2015, 05:36:32 AM
For example, when you work in highly demanding service industry with clients located in all time zones, closing the shop at a given hour is simply not an option no matter how efficient you are.

Sure, but what puts me off is industries where the expectation is to be frantic all the time, without relenting. The work I do can get pretty manic - 18 hour days, reams and reams of material to go through, and everything having to be done yesterday because CRISIS!!11 - but we're never expected to just look busy, being present for the sake of being present, so on and so forth.

One has to wonder what this frantic pace actually achieves. More than once, my girlfriend who is an associate at a magic circle firm has been given an zOMG URGENT TASK on Saturday night that a client absolutely desperately needs for Monday morning, only for her to deliver on time and then have the final result sat on for a week - with the e-mail unread.

I'm not saying there are not fast-paced industries, and I am not saying often the work isn't genuine, but I do wonder whether certain industries or hyper-competitive workplaces breed a culture of haste and mania. One of the most valuable skills I have learnt over the years is divining whether an urgent task is an urgent task or a whim, which so far has saved me a lot of weekends.  :D

I think you are right, but also in service industries it is often difficult to have a position where you can ignore an important client's whims - and by the time you get to such a position, you are utterly used to not ignoring it, it is your second nature. The fact that the market for highest value services is very competitive tends to reinforce that.

Berkut

I think the key here is that Amazon wants people who are not interested in work-life balance, they want people who are consumed by and passionate about their work alone.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Color me amazed people can be that passionate about something as pointless as retail delivery. 'Somebody got their Disney doll quicker. My life is complete!'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2015, 10:24:29 AM
Color me amazed people can be that passionate about something as pointless as retail delivery. 'Somebody got their Disney doll quicker. My life is complete!'

There are people who are passionate about curling. Compared to that, Amazon must be a roller coaster of excitement.

DGuller

People can be passionate about making things run as efficiently as is in their control.  And it does make the world a better place.  Our 15 trillion dollar economy is based on tens of millions of human cogs in the machine doing the one very small part of theirs to the best of their ability.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on August 19, 2015, 10:28:11 AM

There are people who are passionate about curling. Compared to that, Amazon must be a roller coaster of excitement.

Curling is serious business. :mad: :scots:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2015, 10:50:10 AM
People can be passionate about making things run as efficiently as is in their control.  And it does make the world a better place.  Our 15 trillion dollar economy is based on tens of millions of human cogs in the machine doing the one very small part of theirs to the best of their ability.

I wonder if the assembly line workers for Henry Ford felt as inspired.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Warspite

We laugh, but if for example you apply for a job in any menial sector in the UK now, on the application form you will be asked to demonstrate things like "Your passion for retail customer service".
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

Passionate persons eventually herd people into camps. Aloof detachment ftw.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2015, 10:58:57 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2015, 10:50:10 AM

I wonder if the assembly line workers for Henry Ford felt as inspired.

Probably not to that extreme level, but is it so weird to have pride in your work, even if it's an assembly line?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

General Yamashita had the right idea.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.