News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you work at Amazon?

Started by Syt, August 17, 2015, 05:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

It's a pretty long article, so I won't quote it here; but it is very interesting reading

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/technology/inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html

It boils down to measuring everyone's performance non-stop, leading to performance reviews with dozens of pages of metrics on which you can be quizzed. Generally, it's expected that you're available (and working) for the company at any time, be it vacation or off time. Little things like cancer or miscarriage shouldn't let you lose your focus. Meetings are open and frank, and it's generally preferred that you attack someone's idea than seek a compromise, the idea being that this conflict and constant second guessing will produce the most robust/correct decisions.

At the same time, there's doubtless people who thrive in this environment, who see it as a challenge and a way to excel/grow. And Amazon is pretty up front that they're not an employer for everyone and that people will either love or hate working there.

Me, I think life is too short for this kind of bullshit. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Sounds awful. Though if they offer enough money, I might put up with it for a while.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

At 41/42, I'd be shown the door faster than it could hit my lazy ass.

Syt

My favorite quote from the article was a comment from an (ex-?) employee who said they used to joke that Amazon is where overachievers go to feel bad about themselves.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Monoriu

The real question is will they hire me, and no, they won't :weep:

Eddie Teach

You should toss them a resume just in case.

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 17, 2015, 05:25:44 AM
You should toss them a resume just in case.

I don't even have a permit to work in the US.  The chance of them hiring me is so remote that it is not worth it to send the email. 

Not that they will hire me even if I have a green card. 

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on August 17, 2015, 05:03:36 AM
It's a pretty long article, so I won't quote it here; but it is very interesting reading

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/technology/inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html

It boils down to measuring everyone's performance non-stop, leading to performance reviews with dozens of pages of metrics on which you can be quizzed. Generally, it's expected that you're available (and working) for the company at any time, be it vacation or off time. Little things like cancer or miscarriage shouldn't let you lose your focus. Meetings are open and frank, and it's generally preferred that you attack someone's idea than seek a compromise, the idea being that this conflict and constant second guessing will produce the most robust/correct decisions.

At the same time, there's doubtless people who thrive in this environment, who see it as a challenge and a way to excel/grow. And Amazon is pretty up front that they're not an employer for everyone and that people will either love or hate working there.

Me, I think life is too short for this kind of bullshit. :P

It sounds a lot like my current work so if they paid me more, sure why not. :P

I like feedback and measuring myself against others, and I am anyway expected to be able to respond to emails on vacation or during weekends and holidays, so do not see this as a significant downside.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on August 17, 2015, 05:32:23 AM

It sounds a lot like my current work so if they paid me more, sure why not. :P

:worthy:

garbon

Depends on how much they would pay.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on August 17, 2015, 05:30:10 AM
I don't even have a permit to work in the US.  The chance of them hiring me is so remote that it is not worth it to send the email. 

https://www.linkedin.com/job/amazon/jobs-china/?trk=old_jserp_redirect  :P

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 17, 2015, 05:57:29 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 17, 2015, 05:30:10 AM

https://www.linkedin.com/job/amazon/jobs-china/?trk=old_jserp_redirect  :P

Most of the positions advertisied are technology-related.  As expected, my government experience won't translate to a technology and sales oriented for-profit company. 

Plus, I assume that the work culture as described in the article mainly applies to Amazon's US HQs.

Eddie Teach

If you're truly unhappy with your current job, you should be applying elsewhere. Sure, most of them will turn you down, but it only takes one acceptance to get a new job. :contract:

(Though I don't think you are that unhappy, you just don't like to let on how much you enjoy bossing around your underlings and jet-setting around the world. ;))

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 17, 2015, 06:17:34 AM
If you're truly unhappy with your current job, you should be applying elsewhere. Sure, most of them will turn you down, but it only takes one acceptance to get a new job. :contract:

(Though I don't think you are that unhappy, you just don't like to let on how much you enjoy bossing around your underlings and jet-setting around the world. ;))

Well I do have a pension as a job benefit, and how much pension I'll get is directly linked with my length of service.  There is of course the small issue that I won't be able to find a job elsewhere.  I can't programme, can't change a light bulb, can't run, can't do mathematics, etc :cry:

The rest of your post is unsubstantiated speculation  :P

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on August 17, 2015, 05:32:23 AMIt sounds a lot like my current work so if they paid me more, sure why not. :P

I like feedback and measuring myself against others, and I am anyway expected to be able to respond to emails on vacation or during weekends and holidays, so do not see this as a significant downside.

I think there may be one major difference between your work and the (majority of) jobs at Amazon: Amazon is all about becoming as efficient as possible and giving you stretch goals every day to improve their performance.

I understand that lawyers can work long and hard, but generally it's about making sure your clients get the representation they require, not so much about optimizing yourself and your lawyering processes (not saying it's not happening, but I'm not sure if that is the or even a major item on your agenda).
—Stephen Jay Gould