George Zimmerman paints Rebel Flag for 'Muslim Free' gun store

Started by Syt, August 18, 2015, 03:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33979927?ocid=socialflow_facebook

QuoteGeorge Zimmerman sells rebel flag art 'to raise legal fees'

George Zimmerman, who shot and killed an unarmed black teenager in 2012, is selling his paintings of the Confederate battle flag "in honour" of a Florida gun store owner.

The Florida Gun Supply website says he is raising legal funds for himself and the store's owner, who in July declared his business a "Muslim-free zone".

The Confederate battle flag is seen as a symbol of slavery to its critics.

But its supporters today say it is an important part of southern heritage.

Florida Gun Supply owner Andy Hallinan said he teamed up with Mr Zimmerman, who was acquitted in 2013 of killing teenager Trayvon Martin, to sell copies of his Confederate flag artwork.

'Splitting the proceeds'

A post on the store's website said Mr Zimmerman painted it "in honour" of Mr Hallinan "for being a true patriot and leading the country into a better, safer America".

Andy Hallinan courted controversy last month when he announced in a YouTube video that his Florida shooting range was closed to Muslims. Mr Zimmerman said he decided to paint the flag after hearing that the Council on American-Islamic Relations was taking legal action against Mr Hallinan.

At the time, Mr Hallinan said his decision was inspired by the Chattanooga shooting, which was carried out by a man born in Kuwait who spent several years living in the US.

A video on the Florida Gun Supply website shows both men discussing their work together. "He called me shortly after I published my 'Muslim-Free zone' video to support me and encourage me to not back down," Mr Hallinan says, describing the moment they first became acquainted.

Copies of the painting are selling for $50 a piece, each signed and numbered by Mr Zimmerman. It is unclear how many copies have so far been sold.

"George and Andy will be splitting the proceeds - and it will go to support their legal funds, living expenses, and advancing their mission to change the country," the website explains.

Mr Zimmerman's last painting, which features a blue American flag with the words "God, one nation, with liberty and justice for all", sold on Ebay for over $100,000.

His acquittal in 2013 stirred fierce debate on racial profiling and self-defence laws in the US.

It also helped spark the #BlackLivesMatter movement and continues to be a rallying cry for civil rights campaigners.

There has also been a backlash over the Confederate flag in recent months, after the man charged with killing nine black people at a church in Charleston in June was pictured holding the flag.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Obviously not.  But this seems to be a stretch even for him :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Zimmerman is like OJ in that he got off in the trial, but is destined to end up in jail anyway.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 18, 2015, 03:47:25 PM
Obviously not.  But this seems to be a stretch even for him :lol:

He knows where his bread is buttered.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Warspite

He runs a gun store where you get a free Muslim? I had no idea they were so popular.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valmy

I wonder if even these people really know where the troll ends.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."