Hundreds hospitalized after massive explosion in Chinese city of Tianjin

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, August 12, 2015, 02:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Have you been lighting your farts again Ed?

QuoteHundreds hospitalized after massive explosion in Chinese city of Tianjin

Flammable goods at a container terminal in northern China's Tianjin municipality exploded at about 11:30 p.m. local time on Wednesday (11:30 a.m. ET), shattering windows and causing injuries, according to state media reports. The blast was powerful enough that the shockwave knocked people over several kilometres away.

The number of casualties from the blast in the city's Binhai New Area is unknown, China Central Television reported on its news app, citing the local fire department. Injured people have been hospitalized, it said. One report put the number injured higher than 300. The Daily Mirror reported the injury toll at more than 1,000.

Although there are no confirmed reports of deaths so far, some of the graphic images coming out of the city imply that the death count will be far higher than zero.

The Tianjin fire department got a call at 10:50 p.m. regarding a fire in stacked hazardous chemicals in the Rui Hai International Logistics facility, the Ministry of Public Security's fire section said on its Weibo microblog account. The explosion happened at about 11:30 p.m. local time.

Two firemen are missing and four are injured, the ministry said. Transportation facilities and residential buildings are damaged, it said.

The fire that caused the explosion is now under control, the Chinese Xinhau news service reports.

"At the time of the explosion the ground was shaking fiercely, nearby cars and buildings were shaking, a few buildings' glass all broke and everyone started to run," Ms Yang, an eyewitness, was reported telling the local media by the BBC. "Now all the residents are gathered in the street."

The China Earthquake Networks Center said on its Weibo microblog account that it recorded two explosions, with the second one larger. Local residents said windows and fish tanks were shattered, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

Flames lit the sky and dust was blown "dozens of meters" into the air, Xinhua said.

Tianjin is a major port city near Beijing, and is being developed into "China's answer to Manhattan" with plans to make it a major financial centre. 7.5 million people live in the city.

More to come

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 12, 2015, 02:44:56 PM
Tianjin is a major port city near Beijing, and is being developed into "China's answer to Manhattan" with plans to make it a major financial centre. 7.5 million people live in the city.

What is Shanghai then?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 12, 2015, 05:39:05 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 12, 2015, 02:44:56 PM

What is Shanghai then?

Tianjin is different from other major Chinese cities because it is one of the four municipalities that are under direct central rule, the other three being Beijing, Shanghai and Chongqing.  It doesn't belong to the provincial system.  The party head of these direct rule cities are by custom politburo members.  Beijing is landlocked, so Tianjin serves as the capital's ocean access.  I've been to Tianijn, and it is only 30 minutes by highspeed rail from Beijing.  So in this sense Tianjin has some claim to be on equal footing as Shanghai. 

HisMajestyBOB

On the other hand, Shanghai is a richer, larger, all-around better city than Tianjin. I'd say Tianjin is China's Boston: a large port and decently wealthy city, but not as big as they think they are.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 12, 2015, 10:05:22 PM
On the other hand, Shanghai is a richer, larger, all-around better city than Tianjin. I'd say Tianjin is China's Boston: a large port and decently wealthy city, but not as big as they think they are.

I don't think anybody disputes that.  Of course Shanghai is in many ways more international and more developed than Tianjin.  But Tianjin's real strength is its link and proximity with Beijing.  If you compare the Beijing-Tianjin metropolis with Shanghai, things are a little different. 

Monoriu

There are signs that this is a much bigger disaster than first thought.  I've read reports that at least 40 have died in the nearby Beijing hospitals.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PRC

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 12, 2015, 10:05:22 PM

What is America's Shanghai?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on August 12, 2015, 10:15:51 PM
I don't think anybody disputes that.  Of course Shanghai is in many ways more international and more developed than Tianjin.  But Tianjin's real strength is its link and proximity with Beijing.  If you compare the Beijing-Tianjin metropolis with Shanghai, things are a little different.

The two cities are nearly a hundred miles apart. Even if there's development all along that route, they can't be considered a single metropolis.

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 12, 2015, 11:18:19 PM

The two cities are nearly a hundred miles apart. Even if there's development all along that route, they can't be considered a single metropolis.

Like I said, I've travelled between the two cities by rail.  It only takes 30 minutes.  Very often I need more time than that to go from one part of Hong Kong to another. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 12, 2015, 11:18:19 PM

Sino-Megacity One
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point