Hundreds hospitalized after massive explosion in Chinese city of Tianjin

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, August 12, 2015, 02:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I don't think I've ever seen Tianjin pears for sale around here, so I'll be fine.

Monoriu

Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2015, 09:24:00 AM
I don't think I've ever seen Tianjin pears for sale around here, so I'll be fine.

Are you sure?  What about the restaurants that you frequent?  You never know the source of their food :ph34r:

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on August 17, 2015, 09:41:56 AM

Are you sure?  What about the restaurants that you frequent?  You never know the source of their food :ph34r:

We tend to avoid eating food from China as a matter of course.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2015, 02:57:59 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 17, 2015, 09:41:56 AM

We tend to avoid eating food from China as a matter of course.

Indeed.  We have to take any cuisine and add far more fat/grease/sugar/cheese to it, in order to make it palatable.

But, to our credit, we do prefer to leave out the heavy metals and toxic fillers.

Oh wait.... :hmm:

But at least it tastes good.  :)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

These are Tianjin pears.  Mainlanders call them "ya" pears, or duck pears.  The story is that the pears look like duck eggs.  I have no idea what they are talking about. 

Tonitrus

Monoriu

Tianjin pears are crispy in texture.  A very good Chinese dessert is to stew a Tianjin pear with almond, peeled fruit skin that has been aged for 10+ years, and sugar.  This is really good if done right :mmm:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

I just learned that the main use of cyanide is gold mining, and that China has overtaken South Africa as the largest gold producer in the world. 

jimmy olsen

Elbows? :huh:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/world/asia/china-identifies-executives-of-company-linked-to-tianjin-explosions.html?_r=0

Quote...the Chinese government has repeatedly insisted that effective measures are being taken to ensure that the air in Tianjin remains safe. But when rain fell on Tuesday, the city's streets began to foam, and people reported burning sensations on their lips and elbows.

An environmental monitoring official denied that those phenomena had anything to do with the explosions, Chinese news outlets reported....
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Looking at these pictures again, I think they won't be out of place in Fallout 4. 

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-34029202

QuoteChina explosion: Fires at Shandong chemical plant

An explosion has been reported at a chemical plant in China's eastern province of Shandong.

Large flames could be seen from the site after the blast in the city of Zibo. Nine people are reported injured.

The People's Daily said a warehouse at the Runxing chemical plant exploded. There is a residential area about 1km from the plant.

Earlier this month blasts involving chemicals in the northern city of Tianjin killed at least 121 people.

Hundreds were injured there and 54 remain missing.

The proximity of industrial and chemical plants to residential areas has become hugely controversial.

Saturday's blast took place near the city of Zibo, the South China Morning Post reported, quoting a villager who said that he saw a huge fireball and then heard two explosions.

The paper said that the fire had been brought under control by late on Saturday night.

It is not yet clear if homes in the area have been damaged.

Adiponitrile

The explosion triggered a fire and a dozen fire engines were at the scene, Xinhua news agency reports.

Howard Zhang of BBC Chinese says that the blasts at Shandong and Tianjin have taken on a political significance and threaten to overshadow China's celebrations of the 70th anniversary of its victory over Japan in World War Two.

The Beijing Times reported that the Runxing plant contained adiponitrile - a chemical which is reported to be used for the production of nylon and can be harmful to skin.

Windows shattered at the scene of the blast, state media reported, and its vibration could be felt 2km from the site.

The operators of the Tianjin site are being investigated for allowing dangerous chemicals to be stored too close to homes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point