And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Debate #1

Started by jimmy olsen, August 04, 2015, 10:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 07, 2015, 01:53:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 07, 2015, 01:48:22 PM
Surprised how many people tuned in to watch last night.  I missed it because it was empanada night at my favorite brewery :Embarrass:

One good empanada is better than all the candidates put together. :thumbsup:

These were fried empanadas, though.  They were still great, but I prefer baked.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 07, 2015, 01:55:27 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on August 07, 2015, 01:53:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 07, 2015, 01:48:22 PM
Surprised how many people tuned in to watch last night.  I missed it because it was empanada night at my favorite brewery :Embarrass:

One good empanada is better than all the candidates put together. :thumbsup:

These were fried empanadas, though.  They were still great, but I prefer baked.

You've gone full-on Spic on us Spicey. :cry:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Fried or baked, who cares, they are awesome goodnes. Unlike politicians.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 07, 2015, 02:00:09 PM
You've gone full-on Spic on us Spicey. :cry:

I even made a yerba mate-infused beer, so yeah kinda.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Maybe baked empanadas should be made part of the Republican platform?

lustindarkness

Quote from: celedhring on August 07, 2015, 02:21:46 PM

I would vote for that.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on August 07, 2015, 02:21:46 PM

As long as they're not the ones with corn inside.  I want a big tent, but not *that* big.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 07, 2015, 01:26:49 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 07, 2015, 01:13:55 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 07, 2015, 12:35:07 PM
Man, Rand Paul took quite a drubbing.  I personally fall squarely on the side of Paul when it comes to surveillance, and I think people like Christie are dangerous and despicable.  But damn, he got taken to the woodshed there (and then got stepped on by Trump as he was writhing on the ground spitting out his teeth).

Not as bad as his father did on Morton Downey Jr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCxDrfs4GtM
How did he look bad, other than by the fact that he even appeared on such a trashy show?  I didn't watch the whole thing, though.

P.S.  After watching the first minute of this video, I googled Morton Downey Jr to see if he managed to avoid lung cancer.  Predictably enough, he didn't.

He said that if we e legalized drugs then that would get rid of all the drug dealers, which doesn't make a lick of sense.  If legalized the sale of drugs then people wouldn't stop selling them.  He also claimed that fewer people would take drugs if they were legal, which doesn't seem very likely either.  That certainly was not the case with Prohibition which did reduce the amount of alcohol consumption.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 07, 2015, 06:41:07 PM
He said that if we e legalized drugs then that would get rid of all the drug dealers, which doesn't make a lick of sense.  If legalized the sale of drugs then people wouldn't stop selling them.

Sure. They'd just act more like Zoupa and less like Marlo Stanfield.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 07, 2015, 06:41:07 PM
He said that if we e legalized drugs then that would get rid of all the drug dealers, which doesn't make a lick of sense.  If legalized the sale of drugs then people wouldn't stop selling them.  He also claimed that fewer people would take drugs if they were legal, which doesn't seem very likely either.  That certainly was not the case with Prohibition which did reduce the amount of alcohol consumption.
I'm sure that by drug dealers he meant gangsters that commit violent crimes in the course of selling drugs, and not just anyone in the business of dispensing drugs.  As for the second point, he is most likely badly mistaken.  But how does that make it a bad showing for him?  It's not like his arguments have been taken apart, or that he was made to look foolish for advancing them.

Razgovory

I'm never sure what crazy people think.  He made two statements one both likely false, that doesn't bode well for his argument.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 07, 2015, 08:16:24 PM
I'm never sure what crazy people think.  He made two statements one both likely false, that doesn't bode well for his argument.
Again, what does this have to do with anything?  I was originally talking about how Rand Paul had a very bad debate night.  If bad arguments equate to a bad debate showing, then all all Republican candidates will have catastrophic debate performances by default.

Razgovory

Tonitrus

Quote from: derspiess on August 07, 2015, 11:00:59 AM
Camille did a nice little write-up on all the debate participants: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/camille-paglia-john-kasich-won-813657

Kasich's problem, I think, is that he "appears" too old (he seemed tired to me).  Trump has him by 6 years and pushing 70, but still seems much more vibrant/lively.  Even if he is still Trump.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 07, 2015, 09:15:06 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2015, 05:30:41 AM
Mr. Trump, famously, is a "birther" — someone who has questioned whether President Obama was born in the United States. But is that any worse than Scott Walker's declaration that he isn't sure whether the president is a Christian?

Yes. It is a verifiable fact. Only Obama himself (and perhaps God) knows if Obama is a Christian

Is your point that Walker is crazier than Trump then? Because your explanation suggests Walker knows Obama's and God's mind - whilst Trump only knows some fact that could be wrong.