Iran Nuclear Deal Highlights: The Good, the Bad, the Complicated

Started by jimmy olsen, July 14, 2015, 07:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The problem is that we may be looking at a "30 Year's War - Islamic Style" situation developing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on July 16, 2015, 03:17:38 PM
The problem is that we may be looking at a "30 Year's War - Islamic Style" situation developing.

If we can keep it contained, then maybe it won't ultimately be a horrible thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Well we are four years in. Just have to make it to 2041.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on July 16, 2015, 03:38:16 PM

If we can keep it contained, then maybe it won't ultimately be a horrible thing.

It's already pretty horrible. ISIS seems to go out of its way to invent new horrors to inflict.

I never thought I'd see the day wehen Americans of all people would decide that Iran's government was, comparatively, the 'good guys'!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on July 16, 2015, 03:48:42 PM
I never thought I'd see the day wehen Americans of all people would decide that Iran's government was, comparatively, the 'good guys'!

Meh didn't that pretty much happen after 9/11? We have been helping their dudes ever since.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2015, 03:50:36 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 16, 2015, 03:48:42 PM

Meh didn't that pretty much happen after 9/11? We have been helping their dudes ever since.

Didn't the US just agree to take off economic sanctions it had helped impose on Iran for being naughty about nukes?

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on July 16, 2015, 03:52:08 PM
Didn't the US just agree to take off economic sanctions it had helped impose on Iran for being naughty about nukes?

And? You said 'comparatively'.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2015, 03:58:26 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 16, 2015, 03:52:08 PM

And? You said 'comparatively'.

My impression is that the Deal is a move towards more of that; that prior to the Deal, the US mood was closer to the notion that both sides were 'bad' in their own way. The Deal, it strikes me, indicates not "normalization" exactly but more of a sense that the Iranians should be taken off the leash.

crazy canuck

Yeah, but that is a better problem than ISIL winning in 5.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 16, 2015, 03:10:03 PM
The zealots are still running Iran - we aren't going to normalize.

But this is just common sense power politics diplomacy.  US policy in the region is too reliant on the Gulf States and exposure to their problematic agendas.  There are problems with the other two traditional poles - Turkey and Egypt.  Relaxing a bit on Iran and finding areas of some common ground is a way of hedging bets and expanding possible options.

We aren't going to normalize because they don't want to or because we won't do it?  The zealots very recently had a run for the money with that little uprising.  I do agree that the US is too reliant on the Gulf states, which are weak, treacherous, and unstable.  ISIS is becoming a severe threat.  It's not difficult to imagine affiliated uprisings breaking out in Saudi Arabia and Jordan.  It's disturbing that groups outside of Syria and Iraq are making attacks in the name of ISIS.  God Help us, if Saudi Arabia fell to an uprising of ISIS inspired militants.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2015, 04:40:37 PM

Yeah, but that is a better problem than ISIL winning in 5.

Maybe, maybe not. 

The 'best case' is that, with increased support from Iran, Shi'ite militias and Sunni opponents put down ISIS like rabid dogs, and then work out some sort of peace among themselves.

The 'worst case' is that Iranian support for Shi'ia militias discredits the existing Sunni opposition to ISIS, leading to an increase in ISIS support from Sunnis generally - that is, gives a boost to Sunni radicalism led by its current champions, ISIS, who are able to position themselves as the only real armed response to Shi'ism. That would suck, as it may well widen the conflict and end up with ISIS being even stronger than it is now.