Iran Nuclear Deal Highlights: The Good, the Bad, the Complicated

Started by jimmy olsen, July 14, 2015, 07:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 15, 2015, 01:58:32 AM
The Saudis couldn't even assemble an airfix kit.

On the other hand they could probably pay the Pakistanis to do it for them  :hmm:

And the Filipina maids to clean up the mess.

Valmy

The Iranians are 100% committed to regional hegemony world peace so I wouldn't expect them to do anything that would endanger that. -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on July 15, 2015, 12:11:04 PM
AFAIK standard practice in normal countries is that inspectors can (and do) show up unannounced (notice of an hour or two). 24 h notice at facilities that are low risk.

Interesting.  What other countries allow foreign inspectors to inspect their nuclear facilities.  Not being sarcastic.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on July 15, 2015, 12:19:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2015, 11:33:45 AM
The 24 day issue isn't really "notice".  From what I can gather from the reports is there is a 14 day notice that inspectors are coming and Iran then has the opportunity to dispute the inspection in an arbitration that can last no more than 10 days.

So then it's a 24 day notice.  Unless we made the Iranians pinky-swear not to abuse the arbitration period :lol:

You realize you cut out the part of my post that was responsive to the "pinky swear" rhetoric right?

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2015, 12:56:29 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 15, 2015, 12:11:04 PM
AFAIK standard practice in normal countries is that inspectors can (and do) show up unannounced (notice of an hour or two). 24 h notice at facilities that are low risk.

Interesting.  What other countries allow foreign inspectors to inspect their nuclear facilities.  Not being sarcastic.

I think it's standard practice for countries that have signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty, but not all of those are into the Additional Protocol which may complicate the exact picture. For official nuclear weapon powers only civilian facilities are inspected.

Edit: https://www.iaea.org/safeguards/basics-of-iaea-safeguards/safeguards-facts-and-figures
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2015, 01:12:53 PM
Our military facilities are inspected by comedians: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1ya-yF35g

That's not fair.  Sometimes Chinese nationals come by to take a look at our military facilities as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2015, 04:01:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2015, 01:12:53 PM
Our military facilities are inspected by comedians: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1ya-yF35g

That's not fair.  Sometimes Chinese nationals come by to take a look at our military facilities as well.
:pinch:

DontSayBanana

After Obama's press conference earlier, I realized I'm going to miss having a president that can use the word "a'ight" without trying to be ironic. :D
Experience bij!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

I'm of two minds on this.

I think the real issue from the perspective of either the 5+1 or Iran isn't nukes, but allowing Iran to become stronger in the face of the ISIS threat.

On the one hand, without a Shi'ite counterbalance, what we are likely to get right now is an ISIS wasteland covering the heart of Syria-Iraq seeking to expand and a bunch of frightened mostly-Sunni states on the one hand, an isolated Iran on the other, and a few oddballs like Israel and Lebanon.

On the other, boosting the Shi'ite sphere will certainly lead to an intensification of the current war, and may undermine Sunni resistance to ISIS - leading to a wider Sunni-Shi'ite civil war, in which all of the little regional conflicts currently underway link up. This could prove a very bloody proposition, and such conflicts have a terrible tendency to expand and suck in others.

This I see as a "worst case" scenario arising from the current deal - not Iran getting the bomb and nuking people (it was always likely Iran would eventually get the bomb, and always unlikely that they would nuke anyone with it), but an intensification of the current sectarian conflict into something worse, arising from Sunni reaction to Shi'ite assertions of strength, funded by Iran.

If that happens, we will all look back nostalgically on the good old days when some people in the West truly though that Israel-Palestinian business was *the* major ME conflict!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I honestly think we should support Iran against ISIS and normalize relations.  The Iranian revolution was over 30 years ago, and revolutionary zeal has faded quite a bit.  Unlike the Arabs, the Iranians have lived under theocracy for quite while, and know it won't solve all of their problems.  I think normalizing relations might help continue to mellow out Iran.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

The zealots are still running Iran - we aren't going to normalize.

But this is just common sense power politics diplomacy.  US policy in the region is too reliant on the Gulf States and exposure to their problematic agendas.  There are problems with the other two traditional poles - Turkey and Egypt.  Relaxing a bit on Iran and finding areas of some common ground is a way of hedging bets and expanding possible options. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson