Chinese stock market crash; has the bubble finally burst?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 03, 2015, 09:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on August 24, 2015, 01:34:59 AM
Isn't that the Japanese approach?

AFAIK Japan didn't do anything to prop up their bubble.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Doesn't Shanghai have a trade-curbing mechanism?  NYSE would curb trading for 15 minutes at 7%...
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

In recent months, the Shanghai index hovered between 3,500 and 4,000.  3,500 points was considered the floor that the central government would tolerate.  They'd buy if the index approaches it.  What triggered the latest panic is that the index fell decisively below 3,500.  It is now trading at around 3,100.  That means either Beijing has abandoned the 3,500 floor, or it has run out of ammunition. 

Tonitrus

Maybe they're giving it a few days/weeks to see if it will bounce back first?

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on August 24, 2015, 10:37:29 PM
In recent months, the Shanghai index hovered between 3,500 and 4,000.  3,500 points was considered the floor that the central government would tolerate.  They'd buy if the index approaches it.  What triggered the latest panic is that the index fell deciseively below 3,500.  It is now trading at around 3,100.  That means either Beijing has abandoned the 3,500 floor, or it has run out of ammunition.
Which is the classic danger of government pegs.  You either succeed or fail catastrophically.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 24, 2015, 10:42:37 PM

The problem is that nobody knows what the Politburo is thinking about.  So everybody is speculating based on limited information available.  The market used to believe that the Shanghai index would not fall below 3,500, because every time it looked like it would happen, the state-owned companies went in to buy everything they could.  That changed last week.  There is no official communication on what happened, so the market has to reach its own conclusions.  So far, the conclusion seems to be that Beijing can no longer prop up the market, for whatever reason. 

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on August 24, 2015, 10:50:21 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 24, 2015, 10:42:37 PM

The problem is that nobody knows what the Politburo is thinking about.  So everybody is speculating based on limited information available.  The market used to believe that the Shanghai index would not fall below 3,500, because every time it looked like it would happen, the state-owned companies went in to buy everything they could.  That changed last week.  There is no official communication on what happened, so the market has to reach its own conclusions.  So far, the conclusion seems to be that Beijing can no longer prop up the market, for whatever reason.
This reminds me of Railroad Tycoon 3, when I'm badly over-leveraged just before recession hits, and am desperately trying to stay one month ahead of margin calls.  My company needs the cash as the operating profits plummet, but I need to keep the share price propped up with share buybacks or it won't be my company anymore.  More often than not the end result is having $-2,000,000 in cash and 0 stocks.  :(

Monoriu

It is likely that Beijing will continue to support the market at least for a while.  3 September 2015 is the 70th anniversary of China's WWII victory against Japan, and there will be a huge military parade in Beijing.  It is billed as an important political event for the current generation of Chinese leadership, so it is unlikely that we will hear any bad news in the coming week.  Or so they say  :ph34r:

Tonitrus

Quote from: Monoriu on August 24, 2015, 11:06:54 PM
It is likely that Beijing will continue to support the market at least for a while.  3 September 2015 is the 70th anniversary of China's WWII victory against Japan, and there will be a huge military parade in Beijing.  It is billed as an important political event for the current generation of Chinese leadership, so it is unlikely that we will hear any bad news in the coming week.  Or so they say  :ph34r:

Shouldn't the KMT be celebrating that, not the CPC?  :P

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 24, 2015, 11:10:29 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 24, 2015, 11:06:54 PM

Shouldn't the KMT be celebrating that, not the CPC?  :P

History, as they say, is written by the victors  :ph34r:

jimmy olsen

The Chinese slowdown is leading to a further fall in oil prices, one that will be exacerbated if the Iran sanctions are lifted as expected. Excellent! :menace:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/world/from-venezuela-to-iraq-to-russia-oil-price-drops-raise-fears-of-unrest.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Still probably going to stay over $3/gallon here in AK.  :glare: