Chinese stock market crash; has the bubble finally burst?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 03, 2015, 09:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I thought you were stockpiling funds to get bargain basement prices?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2015, 11:02:22 PM
I thought you were stockpiling funds to get bargain basement prices?

When you said grand strategy, I thought you meant my retirement plans.  Despite my stock holdings, I do want the market to crash to that I can buy more.  The next pay day is coming up and I need to do something instead of sitting in savings earning 0.01%. 

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

The Chinese leadership seems to have realised that there is a lack of consumers to buy goods made in China.  There is only so much that the Americans are willing to buy.  The quest is to find new customers.  They believe that people in central Asia and the middle east can buy more Chinese goods, but the lack of infrastructure is undermining business opportunities.  The solution is to set up the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank to fund infrastructure developments in these countries, so that they can buy more Chinese goods.  When this is done, China can set up more factories and hire more workers, and growth will pick up again. 

Tonitrus

Eventually, they're gonna have to market to the Alpha Centaurans.  :P

Richard Hakluyt

There is a huge middle-income trap there, there are simply not enough consumers in the world to boost China and its 1.35bn people to high-income status. China needs to make domestic consumption a priority imo.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2015, 04:14:22 AM
After a solid seven to eight years predicting DOOM here, I'm confident that that DOOM is finally here! :) Yay!? :unsure: :(

Canadian real estate prices will quickly follow.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 15, 2015, 02:01:43 AM
There is a huge middle-income trap there, there are simply not enough consumers in the world to boost China and its 1.35bn people to high-income status. China needs to make domestic consumption a priority imo.

The communist leadership recognise the need for increased domestic consumption, and they have said so publicly.  It is difficult though as nobody seems to have great ideas on how to achieve that.  Part of the problem is the lack of social safety nets that necessitates private savings to guard against rainy days.  Part of it is the severe penalties of not being able to repay loans.  More fundamental is how to increase the wages of the general population without giving them political rights. 

Valmy

This all sounds familiar to the problems crushing Tsarist Russia 100 years ago.

So long as China avoids disastrous wars about damn fool things in the Balkans they might succeed where the Russians failed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Monoriu on July 15, 2015, 06:35:15 AM
The communist leadership recognise the need for increased domestic consumption, and they have said so publicly.  It is difficult though as nobody seems to have great ideas on how to achieve that. 

Very simple-- EAT MORE

Worked for us :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

The communist leadership recognise the need for increased domestic consumption, and they have said so publicly.  It is difficult though as nobody seems to have great ideas on how to achieve that.  Part of the problem is the lack of social safety nets that necessitates private savings to guard against rainy days.  Part of it is the severe penalties of not being able to repay loans.  More fundamental is how to increase the wages of the general population without giving them political rights.

Seems easy enough.  Pay them more without giving them political rights.  In fact, enforcing labor laws, as our own right is fond of saying, limits the scope of one's rights.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

The elephant in the room is the inconvenient fact that no country has transitioned to an affluent mass consumer society while retaining monopolized political power.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 15, 2015, 03:39:42 PM

The elephant in the room is the inconvenient fact that no country has transitioned to an affluent mass consumer society while retaining monopolized political power.

Singapore is the model that they are after.  But Singapore actually has democracy and largely independent courts. 

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Monoriu on July 15, 2015, 06:03:35 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 15, 2015, 03:39:42 PM

Singapore is the model that they are after.  But Singapore actually has democracy and largely independent courts.

And Singapore is a tiny island, while China is an enormous landmass encompassing tons of diverse territory, historical cultures and logistical challenges.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers