News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gay Marriage Upheld by USSC in Close Ruling

Started by Syt, June 26, 2015, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2015, 11:17:26 AM
The fact that you're spinning *that* aspect of it doesn't help your case IMO.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I pissed at you for using the dismissive " rolleyes " at me, nothing more. You threw it down first.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2015, 11:27:44 AM

I pissed at you for using the dismissive " rolleyes " at me, nothing more. You threw it down first.

I see.  So "don't try to be reasonable with this crowd" was your effort at clarifying.  :lol:

Maybe time to push the reset button Malthus.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2015, 11:25:53 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2015, 11:22:33 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2015, 11:21:02 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2015, 11:16:27 AM
But Malthus the point is it is perfectly reasonable to interpret what you said as meaning that academics are poor.   Even without your well earned Meme. ;)

See, if I debate this point - which I don't agree with, BTW - I'm further "overreacting". Or perhaps "protesting too much". Right? 

Interesting. :hmm:

:lol:

You can tell us all you want what you really meant.  But to suggest that your words could not have been reasonably interpreted in another way is just silly.

You really do want to debate this, don't you.  :huh:

If you wish.  I am dying to know how you parse the sentence "They live as poor academics - they are both profs at the university of Iowa."  as incapable of being reasonably interpreted as meaning academics teaching at the university of Iowa are poor.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2015, 11:29:36 AM

I see.  So "don't try to be reasonable with this crowd" was your effort at clarifying.  :lol:

Uh no. Read thread again. My first effort at clarifying was above that, in a perfectly polite response to Jimmy.

Better luck next time.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2015, 11:32:08 AM

Uh no. Read thread again. My first effort at clarifying was above that, in a perfectly polite response to Jimmy.

Lol, so you attack mere seconds after you clarify your comment and say that others are being unreasonable.

Really, step back and look at this bit more dispassionately.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2015, 11:31:41 AM

If you wish.  I am dying to know how you parse the sentence "They live as poor academics - they are both profs at the university of Iowa."  as incapable of being reasonably interpreted as meaning academics teaching at the university of Iowa are poor.

As everyone knows, there are generally two types of profs: one, tenure-track; the other, on contract ... the former is well-paid and the latter, famously, is not. The latter group is growing in numbers at the expense of the former group, in North America. None of which, I am sure, is any mystery to you. 

Which is more reasonable - to assume that I was talking about the former or the latter when talking about "poor academics"?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2015, 11:43:39 AM

As everyone knows, there are generally two types of profs: one, tenure-track; the other, on contract ... the former is well-paid and the latter, famously, is not. The latter group is growing in numbers at the expense of the former group, in North America. None of which, I am sure, is any mystery to you. 

Which is more reasonable - to assume that I was talking about the former or the latter when talking about "poor academics"?

Ok, so you have just confirmed the meme.   :lol:    Even if these two were teaching on contract they are not "poor".  If you think they are then you really are out of touch with what it is to be poor.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2015, 11:34:25 AM

Lol, so you attack mere seconds after you clarify your comment and say that others are being unreasonable.

You call that an "attack"?

Now who is "overreacting"?  :lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2015, 11:46:20 AM

:huh:

Ok, now you are going to have to parse what you meant by this statement.

QuoteDon't try to be reasonable with this crowd. Doesn't work.  ;)

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2015, 11:45:34 AM

Ok, so you have just confirmed the meme.   :lol:    Even if these two were teaching on contract they are not "poor".  If you think they are then you really are out of touch with what it is to be poor.

They aren't living in poverty, no. The point I was making was that they were living on contract academic salaries compared to living on inherited riches, not that they were living on food stamps.

Which, again, I would have thought was sorta obvious. Particularly *after* I explained it, which explaination I know you just read.

This sorta contradicts the whole "you are allowed to explain what you meant and, of course, no-one would continue to take it the wrong way" theme you and Yi have put forward.

But again, no doubt debating this thing (at your express request) is yet more 'protesting too much'.

Norgy

So just to be clear, is anyone really against homos marrying here, or are you just being your normal obtuse?

Martinus

So, apparently, a group of Orthodox Jews paid Mexican workers to dress up as Orthodox Jews and protest the NYC Pride on Saturday. Presumably they didn't want to do it themselves because of Sabbath.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/06/29/jewish-group-hire-mexican-labourers-to-protest-nyc-pride/

And how not to love religious people.  :lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2015, 11:53:41 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2015, 11:45:34 AM

They aren't living in poverty, no. The point I was making was that they were living on contract academic salaries compared to living on inherited riches, not that they were living on food stamps.

Which, again, I would have thought was sorta obvious. Particularly *after* I explained it, which explaination I know you just read.

This sorta contradicts the whole "you are allowed to explain what you meant and, of course, no-one would continue to take it the wrong way" theme you and Yi have put forward.

But again, no doubt debating this thing (at your express request) is yet more 'protesting too much'.

Ok, I give up.  You explain your comment that academics are poor by saying you meant contract academics are poor.  Then when it is pointed out contract academics are not poor you say you didn't meant it that way at all.

Fair enough, but stop saying that it is unreasonable to be confused by what you meant.  ;)

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2015, 11:47:51 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2015, 11:46:20 AM

:huh:

Ok, now you are going to have to parse what you meant by this statement.

QuoteDon't try to be reasonable with this crowd. Doesn't work.  ;)

What's there to parse? I was merely pointing out (with a "wink" no less) that 'this crowd' (meaning you and Yi mostly) were being unreasonable on purpose - my way of indicating I knew you were using your favorite "meme" to interpret what I said. Something you hardly made any secret of.

Of course, if I had known that was an "attack", I would never have said it.  :P