And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on February 28, 2016, 05:19:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2016, 05:14:45 AM
I think you are making a distinction that has no real difference in meaning here for the punished. Additionally it tries to whitewash over this Swiss law which clearly sounds like punishment for foreigners.

Your thought is noted.

QuoteBTW, many of your examples are things that wouldn't necessarily happen post conviction.

Like I said.

Actually it sounds pretty much shut and closed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2016, 03:54:33 AM
Apparently Switzerland is holding a vote today that would change their immigration law such that foreigners who are convicted in court for crimes (or twice for felonies like speeding, insulting a public official, etc.) will automatically deported, with no recourse or possibility for judges to be lenient. Tax evasion, oddly, is not on the list of possible deportation reasons. The law would affect all foreigners (including EU foreigners), regardless of how long they have lived in Switzerland, or whether or not they have family or jobs there. Finally, it would be enshrined in the constitution which means it wouldn't go through parliament.

Originally, there was broad support for this change, but it seems in recent weeks, after broad protests against the initiative, public opinion has changed towards opposing it.

I'm not generally against deportation of criminals, but IMHO it would always have to be a measured decision - how integrated is the foreigner in the country, how serious is the crime, is there a history of crime, what's the situation in his home country etc. Kicking someone out who has lived in the country for decades and gets caught speeding twice seems *a little* over the top.

My thoughts too. I hate these very absolute laws. Seems dumb to count a guy who only came to the country a week ago and started stabbing people, the same as a guy who has been living in the country since he was 3 years old and committed some small scale fraud to fund a gambling problem.

You see posters for the "Vote yes" side all over the place.

A white sheep kicking out a black sheep . hmm...
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Today 30 years ago Swedish PM Olof Palme was shot dead in Stockholm. I remember that day well.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on February 28, 2016, 05:44:46 AM
Today 30 years ago Swedish PM Olof Palme was shot dead in Stockholm. I remember that day well.

So it was you?  :hmm:
At last, we know!

Zanza

According to first exit polls, the Swiss have rejected the law (about 41 yes, 59 no)

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on February 28, 2016, 07:50:21 AM
According to first exit polls, the Swiss have rejected the law (about 41 yes, 59 no)
Good for them for voting that way.  But bad for them that this kind of draconian law can even be up for a simple majority vote.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on February 27, 2016, 04:41:49 AM
A new #thedress, is this jacket blue and white or black and brown. It's clearly blue and white so I don't see this taking off into virality like the dress.

Turquoise and light brown

Syt

It's light blue and white.-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on February 28, 2016, 10:11:45 AM
Quote from: Zanza on February 28, 2016, 07:50:21 AM
Good for them for voting that way.  But bad for them that this kind of draconian law can even be up for a simple majority vote.
Their system is stupid. The threshold for the number of signatures needed for a referendum is so slow that the more extreme parties don't even bother to fight in parliament, they just get their supporters to collect signatures
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Open office- :bleeding:
Spending ages trying to figure out where the BASIC programming features on its version of excel are. Clueless.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 28, 2016, 07:48:12 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 28, 2016, 05:44:46 AM

So it was you?  :hmm:
At last, we know!

I have never been convicted, and even if I were I wouldn't be deported.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on February 28, 2016, 01:38:25 PM
Open office- :bleeding:
Spending ages trying to figure out where the BASIC programming features on its version of excel are. Clueless.

Open Office used to be great, but it has gone south pretty markedly in the past years.

Liep

This one was harder than the Panda one, find the Oscar!

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

I thought it was easier than panda.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?