News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on February 25, 2016, 10:32:52 PM

You talk as if there is a secret cult in every university that hands out all the best jobs and internships.  I think I have seen that movie premise before  :lol:

Let me break it down for you Mono, rich people hire people they like.  Where do you find the rich people?  At the clubs that require a entrance charge.  Once you are in, how do you make friends?  By having fun with those people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2016, 10:40:06 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 25, 2016, 10:32:52 PM

You talk as if there is a secret cult in every university that hands out all the best jobs and internships.  I think I have seen that movie premise before  :lol:

Let me break it down for you Mono, rich people hire people they like.  Where do you find the rich people?  At the clubs that require a entrance charge.  Once you are in, how do you make friends?  By having fun with those people.

I won't be surprised if some people do get rich that way.  But I am not sure if it works for the rest of us.  I don't think most of the rich lawyers on this forum got their jobs like this. 

Razgovory

How exactly do you propose create networks with the wealthy while in college?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on February 25, 2016, 10:46:28 PM
I won't be surprised if some people do get rich that way.  But I am not sure if it works for the rest of us.  I don't think most of the rich lawyers on this forum got their jobs like this. 

My personal connections got me quite a few job opportunities and interviews actually. Your experience is not universal Mono. Michael Dell got rich from his side hobby, not by going to class.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2016, 10:52:04 PM

I have no idea.  I have failed to get rich, so you are asking the wrong person  :lol: My guess is that one needs to get into a university where the rich are.  To get into an Ivy League school, you need excellent grades :contract:

PDH

Get the fuck off topic, jeebus.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on February 25, 2016, 10:52:52 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 25, 2016, 10:46:28 PM

My personal connections got me quite a few job opportunities and interviews actually. Your experience is not universal Mono. Michael Dell got rich from his side hobby, not by going to class.

And Bill Gates got rich by quitting Harvard and starting his own business.  Sure, we have all heard those stories, and they are true.  But how many of us can become Bill Gates and Michael Dell?  Most people can't become billionaires, but we can get stable office jobs and that's a much more realistic goal.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Monoriu

Quote from: PDH on February 25, 2016, 10:59:37 PM

Ok, I'll try.  Anime is good for you, PDH is a great person, I suck at cooking, it is cold here, I wish there were more ways to get free music...

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on February 25, 2016, 10:58:46 PM
And Bill Gates got rich by quitting Harvard and starting his own business.  Sure, we have all heard those stories, and they are true.  But how many of us can become Bill Gates and Michael Dell?  Most people can't become billionaires, but we can get stable office jobs and that's a much more realistic goal.

You know what I didn't need to get a steady office job? Good grades in college.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

I didn't even finish college  :P
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Man, Kate Hudson just ain't looking good these days.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on February 25, 2016, 10:55:30 PM

I have no idea.  I have failed to get rich, so you are asking the wrong person  :lol: My guess is that one needs to get into a university where the rich are.  To get into an Ivy League school, you need excellent grades :contract:

Actually some of the wealthiest people go to public universities.  For instance, the Waltons (the family who owns Walmart) sent their daughter to MU, the biggest public university in the state of Missouri. Besides, when we talk about the wealthy we don't need to talk about the richest people in the country.  Becoming friends with the sons and daughters of the local real estate developers, restaurant owners, and law firm partners is sufficient.

You know, for a guy who values money so much, you've gone about a weird way to make it.  You went into public service.  What the hell did you major in?  Art history?  The only people who get rich in public service are crooks.  And you stay in Hong Kong, one of the most competitive job markets in the world, even though you could live in Canada.

derspiess

One thing I learned tonight-- pistachio shells burn well.  I have a fire going and ate a few pistachios this evening.  When I was done I threw the shells in the fire and woosh-- they took off immediately.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2016, 11:59:52 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 25, 2016, 10:55:30 PM

Actually some of the wealthiest people go to public universities.  For instance, the Waltons (the family who owns Walmart) sent their daughter to MU, the biggest public university in the state of Missouri. Besides, when we talk about the wealthy we don't need to talk about the richest people in the country.  Becoming friends with the sons and daughters of the local real estate developers, restaurant owners, and law firm partners is sufficient.

You know, for a guy who values money so much, you've gone about a weird way to make it.  You went into public service.  What the hell did you major in?  Art history?  The only people who get rich in public service are crooks.  And you stay in Hong Kong, one of the most competitive job markets in the world, even though you could live in Canada.

Like I said, I have no idea how to be rich.  I have said many times before, I am a failure.  Just because I want to make money does not mean I succeed in it.  I go into public service because that is the best I can do. 

I have explained like a hundred times why I did not stay in Canada.  There are no jobs there.