And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 02, 2015, 08:48:36 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2015, 07:04:46 PM
You're sort of missing my point Jacob.  I'm saying what's the point of writing a regulation that says 50% of power generation has to come from renewables when you can just go ahead and do it.

Because the government entity might not be the only player in the field.

That and Yi's hypothetical was of a semi-autonomous actor.  What we would call a Crown Corporation.  Since they are semi-autonomous they require legislative regulation even if there were no other players in the field.

celedhring

Guy that has given me work these past two years, has invited me to a documentary screening. The topic of the piece: the transexual community of the Cabo Verde islands.

The things you do for money.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2015, 07:04:46 PM
You're sort of missing my point Jacob.  I'm saying what's the point of writing a regulation that says 50% of power generation has to come from renewables when you can just go ahead and do it.

Fair enough in a situation where there are no outside parties involved (so the regulation only applies to government entities), and where the lines of communication and decision are clear enough that they can, in fact, just go ahead an do it.

If we're speaking of Hungary specifically, I'd expect that there are enough other interests involved that there's not a 1:1 translation from government intent to implementation... or that the regulation is part of political maneuvering to transfer power from one interest group to another.

Liep

I actually don't know what to vote tomorrow. First election where that's happened, but both options just seem wrong. :weep:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

RIP Luz Marina Zuluaga, the only Miss Universe from Colombia until 2014.  Here she was in all her smoldering 1950s Latina glory:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

ulmont

Valmy - I have my French Republican Wall Calendar now.  Get on it, citoyen!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JacobinCalendar

Savonarola

If there was ever a headline that depicted everything that is wrong with the USA Today, this is it:

Hauling ass: Officer picks up donkey in police car
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on December 02, 2015, 08:03:11 PM
If there was ever a headline that depicted everything that is wrong with the USA Today, this is it:

Hauling ass: Officer picks up donkey in police car

"To ensure the safety of the animal, he helped transport the donkey to a nearby home for safe keeping until its owner can be located," the police department wrote on Facebook. "It's not everyday that you see a donkey in the backseat of a police car!"

Yeah, though the front seat ones are ten a penny.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on December 02, 2015, 03:12:23 PM
Valmy - I have my French Republican Wall Calendar now.  Get on it, citoyen!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JacobinCalendar

So...awesome...I have waited so long for one of those.

Pity it is generic and not specifically for An CCXXIV

I think I will get my ears pierced just to wear these:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

And I would have this necklace to wear with it:

:mmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Big old slobby French Bill Clinton.

Valmy

Ed Anger

Cheese eating surrender monkey
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive