And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

I did my European duty and voted Yes. :mutti: :juncker: :andiefreude:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/93b7f5ca-990f-11e5-9228-87e603d47bdc.html
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2015, 09:32:06 PM
Quote from: ulmont on December 02, 2015, 03:12:23 PM
Valmy - I have my French Republican Wall Calendar now.  Get on it, citoyen!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JacobinCalendar

So...awesome...I have waited so long for one of those.

Pity it is generic and not specifically for An CCXXIV

I Hope you have at least a Calendrier républicain app on your cell phone such as this one, to stay up to date.  :frog:

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/calendrier-republicain/id543841010?mt=8

Was rewatching the other day an old Japanese cartoon, the Roses of Versailles (Lady Oscar in French sic) where Robespierre was depicted as a well-meaning but kind of dangerous schemer and Saint-Just as a murderous psycopathic terrorist (2 assassinations plus one failed attempt with ninja-like leaps). Marie-Antoinette being depicted as not too bright but ultimately more of a victim.

Syt

I recall that show (it was also called Lady Oscar in Germany).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

I'm in bangkok.
It's like going back to the showa era. Only everyone has smart phones.  Quite cool.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on December 03, 2015, 04:38:14 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 02, 2015, 11:35:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2015, 10:39:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 02, 2015, 10:32:30 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 02, 2015, 01:22:58 PM
Guy that has given me work these past two years, has invited me to a documentary screening. The topic of the piece: the transexual community of the Cabo Verde islands.

The things you do for money.

That's probably something those people are forced to say more often than you do.

Woah. This got dark all the sudden.

It was an obvious shot, but I knew someone else would say it, so I didn't bother lowering myself to that level. -_-

Tbf the docu was pretty good and not dark at all. It depicts a pretty feel-good tale of the LGBT community of a small island town setting up a carnival and gaining the acceptance of the residents in the process. Most of the story is devoted around the arduous preparations of the (very gaudy) festival and the sense of community it fosters among the islanders. 

It's a bit too arty at times, but it's a very nice story.

Thanks for that Celed, I wasn't being critical of you, just saying typical around the world those marginal groups tend to have to make their money from street prostitution and so suffer higher crime rates, versus us here on Languish who tend to be fairly privileged 1st worlders. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on December 03, 2015, 08:16:32 AM
I'm in bangkok.
It's like going back to the showa era. Only everyone has smart phones.  Quite cool.

:cool:

Check between their legs before you do anything.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: mongers on December 03, 2015, 08:37:51 AM
I'm in bangkok.

He's in Bangkok for chrissake, he needs to get criminally drunk and just go with whatever.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

You'd have to be paying for it so.....pretty clear I won't be doing any thing like that
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on December 03, 2015, 08:09:08 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2015, 12:06:27 AM
And the terror would never have happened without the war.

:mellow:

What? That is hardly a new controversial idea. The war made everybody lose their shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on December 03, 2015, 08:37:51 AM
I'm in bangkok.

That can get awkward when paying one's bus fare.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2015, 09:19:37 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 03, 2015, 08:09:08 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2015, 12:06:27 AM
And the terror would never have happened without the war.

:mellow:

What? That is hardly a new controversial idea. The war made everybody lose their shit.

Good to hear I get a pass on anything I do during wartime.  Maybe even get put on some earrings!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on December 03, 2015, 09:45:15 AM
Good to hear I get a pass on anything I do during wartime.  Maybe even get put on some earrings!

Ok first of all chill the fuck out. You know damn well my fanboying is a joke. I mean are you really this unhinged about shit that happened over 200 years ago?

Secondly I never said you get a pass for doing things in wartime. I said he predicted things would go to shit if they started the war and was against it...and then they did and they did. Hell think of all the trouble we in the US would have avoided if we had taken that argument to heart.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Habbaku

No, I'm not "unhinged" about something that happened 200 years ago.  You're reading a lot of angst into a few sentences, none of which are particularly irate.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on December 03, 2015, 10:38:05 AM
No, I'm not "unhinged" about something that happened 200 years ago.  You're reading a lot of angst into a few sentences, none of which are particularly irate.

Um generally when somebody responds to a serious historical quote and point with a bullshit one liner and a sarcastic personal attack it suggests they are upset. If you want to add some nuance you should perhaps say a bit more and leave less up to interpretation.

I mean you basically said I approve of all war crimes. Yeah not irate at all  :lol:

How would you insult me if you WERE irate? :hmm: