News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2015, 04:18:14 PM
Someone says "you look like you took a class" and this chick runs away blubbering?  :huh:

People's unknown sensibilities have to take priority in the public space.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 01, 2015, 04:34:25 PM
Independent-exercise-routine shaming.

I'm taking a break until we get to sham-shaman-shaming.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on October 01, 2015, 03:24:41 PM
So apparently, fat-shaming is so last year. Meet the new way to feel victimised: sweat-shaming:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/30/sweat-shamed-waited-for-my-coffee-at-starbucks?CMP=twt_gu

I can't wait for shitting-on-a-subway-shaming and wanking-in-public shaming.

God, I hate humanity.

How about bad-analogy-shaming? :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

If I heard the story correctly on NPR, they only recently discovered a forelimb bone of a T-Rex, and up till now the existence of the forelimb had been based deduced.

Ideologue

While I was going to the bank and grocery store yesterday, three separate unaccompanied children asked me if I was Jewish.  Turns out it's part of Sukkot.  "Hi adult stranger!  May I shake a lemon and some sticks at you?"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on October 01, 2015, 07:30:39 PM
While I was going to the bank and grocery store yesterday, three separate unaccompanied children asked me if I was Jewish.  Turns out it's part of Sukkot.  "Hi adult stranger!  May I shake a lemon and some sticks at you?"
I always feel so conflicted when they do that.  I don't want them to accost me like that and shake their stick at me, that's not mitzvah, that's disrespectful.  But I don't want to say that I'm not Jewish either, because I think that's bad karma.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 01, 2015, 03:32:59 PM
There is apparently this new trend of "feminism" which involves exposing other people to your excreta - blood, sweat, shit, it does not matter.

I think the idea is any sort of public expectations at all are oppression. Ironically enforcing this absolute freedom requires mob driven intimidation and public call outs. The beatings will continue until freedom improves  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 01, 2015, 08:16:39 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 01, 2015, 07:30:39 PM
I always feel so conflicted when they do that.  I don't want them to accost me like that and shake their stick at me, that's not mitzvah, that's disrespectful.  But I don't want to say that I'm not Jewish either, because I think that's bad karma.

In the Ozarks you just get threats. <_<
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Landed a final interview at a huge Tier 1, in my hometown. Got here somehow despite not fulfilling any of the requirements listed in the job offer. Not even one. :huh:

Got to be there with the heads of HR and Engineering in two hours. If I somehow make it work, I'll come back home, with a new career path, great salary and working conditions.

Zanza

Good luck! I hope it works out for you. :-)

Martinus

So Tom Daley is off the market.  :cry:

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2015, 08:49:16 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 01, 2015, 03:32:59 PM
There is apparently this new trend of "feminism" which involves exposing other people to your excreta - blood, sweat, shit, it does not matter.

I think the idea is any sort of public expectations about women at all are oppression. Ironically enforcing this absolute freedom requires mob driven intimidation and public call outs. The beatings will continue until freedom improves  :P

There, fixed your post for you. When it comes to guys, if you sit in a wrong position on public transport, you become a target of a nation-wide public awareness campaign.

Ideologue

Martinus says, as usual, "Rights?  Acceptance?  Privilege?  I got mine, so fuck you."

I suppose the need to politicize everything is kind of exhausting, but she didn't claim it was the end of the world (although you might as well be claiming that it is the end of world).  It is bad manners to point out in a condescending manner that some stranger is sweating: there's all kinds of reasons they might be, like they had to run to catch a bus, etc.  In her case, she just wanted to get a coffee after a run.  Weird?  Maybe.  Not your business.

And you complain about fat people all the time, now you complain about them running.  Make up your mind!
Kinemalogue

Martinus

I don't think you will understand this, but there is such thing as proper decorum. People who are sweaty and smelly break it. I am not sure if I would point it out to someone, but mainly because I am too polite to do so - but would give disapproving looks.

Martinus

Besides the point is not really whether the other woman was right to point that out or not - but the fact that the bitch then went on to write an ideological article for Guardian.