And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on August 13, 2015, 12:17:27 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 13, 2015, 12:15:47 PM
Which religion actually works? Beyond placebo?

Methodism.  The rest lead straight to Hell.

I'm a methodist actor. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Kim Basinger is a Methodist.

edit: As was Hugh Beaumont, who set the standard all fathers should strive toward.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2015, 12:23:39 PM
Kim Basinger is a Methodist.

edit: As was Hugh Beaumont, who set the standard all fathers should strive toward.

I am impressed by your knowledge of Methodism.  John Wesley would be proud.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on August 13, 2015, 12:15:47 PM
Which religion actually works? Beyond placebo?

Is there a religion that encourages people to trust modern science and follow doctor recommendations? That one could lead to promising results.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

My grandfather was the first rican general superintendent for the Methodist church in Puerto Rico. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Going by the name you'd think Christian Science would do that.  But it's kinda the opposite.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2015, 01:01:37 PM
Going by the name you'd think Christian Science would do that.  But it's kinda the opposite.

Before I made that post, I was trying to think of a religion like that, and googled christian science because I didn't remember what they really believed.  :blush:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2015, 01:01:37 PM

Heh, in my city I knew of a church with the label "First Church of Christ, Scientist". When I was a kid, this confused the hell out of me.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 13, 2015, 01:00:17 PM
My grandfather was the first rican general superintendent for the Methodist church in Puerto Rico. :)

You, and retroactively derspeiss, have one Wesleyan point each. :thumbsup:

Eddie Teach

Objection! You are only authorized to give out res ipso whatever points.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 13, 2015, 01:32:36 PM
Objection! You are only authorized to give out res ipso whatever points.

And maybe I shall, if circumstances warrant it.

But today I handed out Wesleyan points.

Zanza

God, I hate waiting at the airport. It's not even clear if my flight is just delayed or outright cancelled. :ultra:

Admiral Yi

People watching can be pretty good at airports.  :)

Zanza

Fuck. The aircraft I am waiting for was diverted to Amsterdam due to poor weather here in Brussels. Now I am stuck in Belgium. :cry: At least there is free beer.