News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 15, 2015, 02:42:05 PM
Yeah. I get the statement alone but why the flag with it? Theres a non obvious hidden message

The second statement does not make much sense.  The NAACP does not have racial requirements for it's membership.  In fact, Republican presidential  candidate Barry Goldwater was a member of the Arizona chapter. As for governmental offices I can think of only a few offices that require you to be an ethnic group to hold office.  Those are Tribal governments of Indian nations.  The rules on who can hold offices and who can be members of the tribe are left up to the tribes themselves.  I imagine they differ quite a bit from tribe to tribe.  The status and functions of these governments has always been an area I've had little understand of though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 15, 2015, 02:43:33 PM
I'm guessing it's more about the flag purge in general, including the silly excesses like the Apple Store game ban, revoking the license to manufacture the General Lee toy car, and vandalizing private property where the flag is flown.

Huh. Well those are decisions by individuals and individual companies. They are talking like we as a country are collectively doing that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2015, 02:18:48 PM
Bah, you and Syt need to figure out different names.

Perhaps Josquius and Sytass.   :homestar:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 15, 2015, 03:18:22 PM

Eddie Teach is correct.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2015, 03:08:38 PM
Huh. Well those are decisions by individuals and individual companies.

Yep.

QuoteThey are talking like we as a country are collectively doing that.

With the rapidity and seeming uniformity with the way it's taking place, it sort of feels like it. 

I never liked that flag, but the frenzy and excess of this purge is unsettling to me. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2015, 02:55:49 PM
The second statement does not make much sense.  The NAACP does not have racial requirements for it's membership.  In fact, Republican presidential  candidate Barry Goldwater was a member of the Arizona chapter.

You're correct in a technical sense, but I think it's pretty much a de facto rule (with a small number of exceptions) that you need to be black to head an NAACP chapter.  I doubt Ms. Dolezal would have become chapter president without her blackface ruse, for example.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 15, 2015, 03:49:17 PM
With the rapidity and seeming uniformity with the way it's taking place, it sort of feels like it. 

I never liked that flag, but the frenzy and excess of this purge is unsettling to me. 

It should be. It is symptomatic of the reactionary outrage business we do all the time. Unfortunately the most you can do is just wait until it blows over or risk being cyber-shamed to oblivion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 15, 2015, 03:18:22 PM

Yes, someone ought to force them back to their original names.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2015, 03:08:38 PM
Huh. Well those are decisions by individuals and individual companies.

Yep.

QuoteThey are talking like we as a country are collectively doing that.

I see it as similar to the purging of Communist symbols in former Eastern Bloc countries.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 15, 2015, 03:51:50 PM
The second statement does not make much sense.  The NAACP does not have racial requirements for it's membership.  In fact, Republican presidential  candidate Barry Goldwater was a member of the Arizona chapter.

You're correct in a technical sense, but I think it's pretty much a de facto rule (with a small number of exceptions) that you need to be black to head an NAACP chapter.  I doubt Ms. Dolezal would have become chapter president without her blackface ruse, for example.

I have no idea, as I'm not a member.  I imagine that the people who care most about the NAACP are black.

Josquius

Yeah. I get the statement alone but why the flag with it? Theres a non obvious hidden message

The second statement does not make much sense.  The NAACP does not have racial requirements for it's membership.  In fact, Republican presidential  candidate Barry Goldwater was a member of the Arizona chapter. As for governmental offices I can think of only a few offices that require you to be an ethnic group to hold office.  Those are Tribal governments of Indian nations.  The rules on who can hold offices and who can be members of the tribe are left up to the tribes themselves.  I imagine they differ quite a bit from tribe to tribe.  The status and functions of these governments has always been an area I've had little understand of though.

That's more factually wrong than not making sense.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

There was a white head of the NAACP.

derspiess

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2015, 03:53:08 PM

It should be. It is symptomatic of the reactionary outrage business we do all the time. Unfortunately the most you can do is just wait until it blows over or risk being cyber-shamed to oblivion.

The outrage is a bit of a perfect storm of political sentiment.  Leftists despise the flag for what it represents, and I don't think Republicans have every been comfortable with a symbol violent resistance to the election of Republicans.  It was also a cunning move on the part of Republican elite.  I have noticed that since the Trayvon Martin shooting there was a great deal of resentment amongst white conservatives. Scare stories about Black on White crime were fairly common on websites like FreeRepublic and Breitbart.  I noticed that on the day of the shooting Breitbart had "Blacks victimizing Whites" story on their front page, that was quickly taken down.  I don't think they wanted people to look to closely at the web sights that inspired Mr. Roof.  Better to make the debate about the flag then take a hard look Conservative Citizen Council, which could prove embarrassing.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 15, 2015, 04:08:03 PM

That's more factually wrong than not making sense.

That is my best guess what it meant, but it worded confusingly.