News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2015, 12:32:56 AM
So I joined Amazon Prime again (mostly because they've improved their selection of English language Instant Video selection - yay, Star Trek!).

Anyways, I order a book Thursday, 11:24am and chose prime delivery
It arrived in Nuremberg on Friday, 11:04pm.
It has arrived in Austria TODAY, 7:01am.

And looks like it will be delivered tomorrow, 6 days after ordering.

THANK YOU UPS <_<

I think mail would have been faster.

I dropped Prime for that reason: it's not that it's faster, so much, as it fucks up preorders, which arrive on Tuesday, when I'm not here, then on Wednesday, when I'm not here, then on Friday, when I'm not here, and then don't arrive on Saturday, when I wait 48 hours to go to the UPS hub ten miles away on Monday.  Fuck it, not worth the money when free 7 day shipping comes by mail and federal law protects my packages and the mail carrier will actually leave it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Well, I can have things delivered to the office if need be, but it's really annoying that a courier is as slow as regular mail. Also, if a package is sent by mail and I'm not home it'll be dropped off at a pick up station that I can access 24/7. With UPS I either have to be home, hope the delivery fits into the mailbox, or that the delivery guy drops it off with a neighbor or the restaurant in our building.

Otherwise I either have to re-schedule delivery or pick it up at one of their small handful of pick up shops that are open on workdays only during my work hours and closed on weekends.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

We're currently scheduled to have 39°C on Saturday. :bleeding:  <= eyeballs melting
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

I laugh at your lack of A/C.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 14, 2015, 08:33:27 AM
I laugh at your lack of A/C.
Mine died last week.  Good thing I had the sellers buy me a home warranty on the new place.  Supposed to be fixed this morning. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I consider spending the day in a/c'ed museums.  :hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

We actually went out to eat last night to be in the A/C. :blush:

We had a massive storm blow through last night at 3:00 am, so in addition to getting very little sleep we had three leaks to deal with in the windows (in the seams between the panes and the walls), because the rain was blowing sideways, and also a tree went down that is like right on the border of my property so I'm not sure if I'm responsible or my neighbor is. :hmm:

Iormlund

Fuck. I return to Germany this week. I don't have A/C on the house there.  :(

lustindarkness

The AC was broken in our building at the reserve center this weekend,  and we hit 97 with high humidity. I had to give a death by power point training with over 20 people in a windowles conference room.  :nelson:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Liep

Meanwhile we have a comfy 20 degrees here.  :showoff:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

In James Bay, it is 7 celcius today.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 14, 2015, 08:45:47 AM
I prefer the weather where I am to that, even without A/C.

Josquius

For 2 years of my time in japan amazon was awesome. Always so freaking fast- one of their major national distribution centres was randomly in a insignificant nearby town.

When I moved..... Less awesome.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on July 14, 2015, 08:48:03 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 14, 2015, 08:45:47 AM
I prefer the weather where I am to that, even without A/C.

2C in Ivujivik

It is 9C in Resolute Bay, thousands of km/miles more North.  :lol:

The Larch

I am in Southern Italy right now and it's a veritable hellhole over here weatherwise. Hot humid weather FTL.  :bleeding: