News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I think you mean latitude.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 13, 2015, 11:19:03 AM
How about attitude?

Plays a strong role in my life, at least. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

How about attitude?

No matter how happy you are, the Gulf Stream still dominates.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2015, 11:28:13 AM
How about attitude?

No matter how happy you are, the Gulf Stream still dominates.  ;)

Only you can make you happy.  The Gulf Stream is way too fickle.

Malthus

This weekend, my wife and I decided to tourist in our own area of town (roughly) - we walked past the Islington Mural project. This is a buch of murals paid for by the local business improvement association, on blank walls, along an area that is otherwise not very attractive.

Some nice stuff there, surprising for municipal art.

http://www.johnkuna.com/

The costumes on the ladies in Mural #10 were - rather more revealing than I would have expected for the 1880s.  :lol:

The amazing thing is that not one was defaced by graffiti.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

I get home one day, and have a note on my door from the guy living in the condo under mine: a pipe from my toilet is leaking water into his unit, and the plumber will need access to my unit to fix. We can split the costs 50-50.

So the plumber fixed the problem. It was clearly not the dude below me's problem to fix. It was my pipe (though arguably in a common area the HOA should have fixed, though the HOA said otherwise).

I paid the plumber $675 to fix it all. The dude below my gave me $340.

Should I give the money back? I never asked for it, but it really wasn't on him to fix.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

So I joined Amazon Prime again (mostly because they've improved their selection of English language Instant Video selection - yay, Star Trek!).

Anyways, I order a book Thursday, 11:24am and chose prime delivery
It arrived in Nuremberg on Friday, 11:04pm.
It has arrived in Austria TODAY, 7:01am.

And looks like it will be delivered tomorrow, 6 days after ordering.

THANK YOU UPS <_<

I think mail would have been faster.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on July 14, 2015, 12:20:31 AM
I get home one day, and have a note on my door from the guy living in the condo under mine: a pipe from my toilet is leaking water into his unit, and the plumber will need access to my unit to fix. We can split the costs 50-50.

So the plumber fixed the problem. It was clearly not the dude below me's problem to fix. It was my pipe (though arguably in a common area the HOA should have fixed, though the HOA said otherwise).

Should I give the money back? I never asked for it, but it really wasn't on him to fix.
Give it back.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Give some of it back (half?) to show you're a nice guy and build a lifelong bond with a kindred soul.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Monoriu

The only question you should ask yourself is what stocks you are going to buy with the $340. 

Syt

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2015, 12:32:56 AM
THANK YOU UPS <_<

Well, they put it in the mailbox.

Still, 3 working days delivery time for a book? NOT IMPRESSED.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2015, 01:31:17 PM
This weekend, my wife and I decided to tourist in our own area of town (roughly) - we walked past the Islington Mural project. This is a buch of murals paid for by the local business improvement association, on blank walls, along an area that is otherwise not very attractive.

Some nice stuff there, surprising for municipal art.

http://www.johnkuna.com/

The costumes on the ladies in Mural #10 were - rather more revealing than I would have expected for the 1880s.  :lol:

The amazing thing is that not one was defaced by graffiti.

A clean white wall is a beautiful sight.  I don't get the need to put paint on them.