News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on July 12, 2015, 10:17:39 AM
We can simplify those conclusions:

• Communism sucks.
  • Catholicism sucks.

And what's UK's excuse?

Admiral Yi

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2015, 03:16:00 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2015, 02:57:27 AM
Denmark has been excised from Europe?
:lol:

...but where did it go?

It has now been classified as an "Asian tiger".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

So today is Malala's 18th birthday.

:perv:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Really hot and humid here.  Just sweated out five gallons on the driving range.

MadBurgerMaker

I just bought a little rectangular soft sided 7'x12' (56" deep) pool to stick in the back yard with a swimming tether so I can do my thing without having to go anywhere.  :) I'd been looking at the motorized endless pools for a while now, but the things are just too expensive ($20k and up) for what you get, so I finally decided to go with the much simpler and less expensive (and significantly uglier :P) option.  Just didn't have the motivation to get up and go to a gym or something before work, and there's no room in my backyard for anything in ground, which is also alarmingly expensive.

jimmy olsen

Why is the Czech republic so well off?  :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

News you can use:

http://www.geek.com/games/study-finds-playing-violent-video-games-makes-women-feel-sexy-1627639/

QuotePlaying violent video games makes women feel sexy, study finds

The body of research on the effects of violent video games stretches about a mile long—some argue that the genre has its merits, others tout its damaging effects. Most of it controversial and conflicting. Scientists Michael Kasumovic and Tom Denson are adding to this research, with a study linking violent games to sex.
They point out that little research has been done on the "why we play what we play" aspect. Why do some people choose to play these kinds of games over one in the puzzle or strategy genre? The reason, they found, is closely intertwined with sexual desire and self-esteem.

The research team surveyed 1,000 men and women, all who reportedly played video games in the last 30 days. They wanted to know what kinds of games different demographics were playing and how violent the participants felt they were. Men tended to prefer playing violent games over women, but not by much, and the reason will soon become clear.

The next part of the survey assessed their interest in sex, using the Sexual Openness Inventory. The researchers explained in their article for The Conversation that this part of the survey is meant to assess "how important sex is to people, how likely they are to engage in it and preferences for casual sex." In another portion they asked the participants about their perceived "mate value," or "how they perceive themselves as a potential romantic partner." Did they see themselves as a "great catch" compared to everyone else?

The researchers found there was a correlation between violent video game play and a desire for sex, and this interest was across the board for male and female gamers. But here's were the genders diverge. You see, there was no boost in "mate value" among men who played violent video games, but there was among the female participants.

The results showed that women who play violent video games consider themselves a better catch, reporting that they enjoyed playing these kinds of games, because it made them feel more attractive, more sexy.

So there you have it folks, violent video games give women a self-esteem boost. Now excuse me while I go play some Call of Duty.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2015, 11:00:52 PM
Why is the Czech republic so well off?  :hmm:

Except most of the former Sudetenland. Interesting.

katmai

Quote from: celedhring on July 12, 2015, 03:07:50 AM
New York and Barcelona are in the same latitude (41), slightly shocking fact.
Anchorage show up as that little blip all alone for USA :w00t:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2015, 03:18:09 AM

And Hamburg is about as far North as Edmonton, Canada. And Vienna is slightly North of Seattle.

Gulf Stream, important!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 13, 2015, 04:07:45 AM
News you can use:

http://www.geek.com/games/study-finds-playing-violent-video-games-makes-women-feel-sexy-1627639/

QuotePlaying violent video games makes women feel sexy, study finds

The body of research on the effects of violent video games stretches about a mile long—some argue that the genre has its merits, others tout its damaging effects. Most of it controversial and conflicting. Scientists Michael Kasumovic and Tom Denson are adding to this research, with a study linking violent games to sex.
They point out that little research has been done on the "why we play what we play" aspect. Why do some people choose to play these kinds of games over one in the puzzle or strategy genre? The reason, they found, is closely intertwined with sexual desire and self-esteem.

The research team surveyed 1,000 men and women, all who reportedly played video games in the last 30 days. They wanted to know what kinds of games different demographics were playing and how violent the participants felt they were. Men tended to prefer playing violent games over women, but not by much, and the reason will soon become clear.

The next part of the survey assessed their interest in sex, using the Sexual Openness Inventory. The researchers explained in their article for The Conversation that this part of the survey is meant to assess "how important sex is to people, how likely they are to engage in it and preferences for casual sex." In another portion they asked the participants about their perceived "mate value," or "how they perceive themselves as a potential romantic partner." Did they see themselves as a "great catch" compared to everyone else?

The researchers found there was a correlation between violent video game play and a desire for sex, and this interest was across the board for male and female gamers. But here's were the genders diverge. You see, there was no boost in "mate value" among men who played violent video games, but there was among the female participants.

The results showed that women who play violent video games consider themselves a better catch, reporting that they enjoyed playing these kinds of games, because it made them feel more attractive, more sexy.

So there you have it folks, violent video games give women a self-esteem boost. Now excuse me while I go play some Call of Duty.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 13, 2015, 08:10:36 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2015, 03:18:09 AM

And Hamburg is about as far North as Edmonton, Canada. And Vienna is slightly North of Seattle.

Gulf Stream, important!

Yup . Gulf Stream plays more of a role in weather patterns than altitude.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011