News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quotethe woman was quite literally in the shadow of the man

Literally in the shadow of a symbolic representation? Anyway I am glad my subconscious will no longer want to cast shadows on women due to Facebook's evil influence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2015, 09:36:14 AM
And now for something truly important.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/laurasilver/facebooks-friend-request-logo-has-had-a-feminist-redesign

QuoteYou may have noticed a small but symbolic change to the friend request icon on your Facebook page.

The icon has been altered so the female figure is in front of the male one, after Facebook designer Caitlin Winner noticed that previously "the woman was quite literally in the shadow of the man".

There are still two men and just one woman on the groups icon, so women are underrepresented.  We need a special avatar and maybe a filter for icon equality.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

The word bankrupt comes from the Italian banco rotto, meaning broken bench.  In medieval Italy, if someone failed to pay their debts, their work bench was broken to prevent them from working.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2015, 10:58:04 AM
The word bankrupt comes from the Italian banco rotto, meaning broken bench.  In medieval Italy, if someone failed to pay their debts, their work bench was broken to prevent them from working.

Not quite.  The tradition is that it was the money changer or "banker" who's bench was broken if they were insolvent to prevent them from dealing with innocent third parties.   It makes no sense to take away a productive persons livelihood. ;)

Ideologue

It's what we do to child support dodgers.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Every time I go to the Aussie pub there seems to be Cricket on TV.  :bowler:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2015, 11:15:16 AM
It's what we do to child support dodgers.

Since when are you holding up your system as something that makes sense. :P

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Canada apparently ruins people lives with child support more than we do. Don't get divorced, cc.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 08, 2015, 04:06:34 PM
Canada apparently ruins people lives with child support more than we do. Don't get divorced, cc.  :P

It is too expensive for me even to look at another woman.  :D

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on July 08, 2015, 09:58:50 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2015, 09:36:14 AM
And now for something truly important.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/laurasilver/facebooks-friend-request-logo-has-had-a-feminist-redesign

QuoteYou may have noticed a small but symbolic change to the friend request icon on your Facebook page.

The icon has been altered so the female figure is in front of the male one, after Facebook designer Caitlin Winner noticed that previously "the woman was quite literally in the shadow of the man".

There are still two men and just one woman on the groups icon, so women are underrepresented.  We need a special avatar and maybe a filter for icon equality.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Feminists need rounding up and sending to Sudan.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Syt

I get a pic of Shia LaBoef and his girlfriend?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.