And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2015, 11:30:10 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2015, 11:26:41 AM
Go to a nerd event nowadays and you'll find a sizeable number of girls nerding it up as well.

I'll take your word for it.  I assume these girls are paid somehow?

Keep on trollin'.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2015, 11:30:43 AM
Keep on trollin'.

I suppose I should start ridiculing anime now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Ridiculing anime is only right and good.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2015, 11:29:28 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2015, 11:21:47 AM
A Five Guys is opening kinda close, worth it?

Definitely.  I'd avoid paying attention to the hype, though, and just enjoy it for what it is: a really tasty, unhealthy burger with tasty, unhealthy fries.

Ok!

I looked it up, there is even one much closer to work.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

I'll take your word for it.  I assume these girls are paid somehow?  Or are they sizable girls?  :P

Sizable girls can procreate too. Probably have an easier time of it, even.

As for Game of Thrones, I'd expect the audience is around 50/50. Two of my sisters and my mom watch it. Doctor Who and Harry Potter fans would be majority chicks, I'd wager.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on May 05, 2015, 11:27:43 AM

Reminds me I still haven't tried that Dunkin' Donuts; there's always a long line. :(

I don't understand. One of the things I thought Europe is uncontestedly better at than America is breakfast pastries.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on May 05, 2015, 11:39:52 AM
I don't understand. The one thing I've always thought that one of the things Europe is uncontestedly better at than America is breakfast pastries.

:wacko:

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2015, 11:16:08 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2015, 10:46:02 AM
You'd be amazed. And girls can be nerds too. And these particular ones have transcended their niche and become mainstream.

Keep telling yourself that.

In the video that screenshot is from there's a pregnant nerd.  Clearly nerds are capable of reproducing.

Grey Fox

Quote from: alfred russel on May 05, 2015, 11:39:52 AM
Quote from: Liep on May 05, 2015, 11:27:43 AM

Reminds me I still haven't tried that Dunkin' Donuts; there's always a long line. :(

I don't understand. One of the things I thought Europe is uncontestedly better at than America is breakfast pastries.

Donuts are not pastries.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

frunk

Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2015, 11:26:41 AM
Go to a nerd event nowadays and you'll find a sizeable number of girls nerding it up as well.

I'll take your word for it.  I assume these girls are paid somehow?  Or are they sizable girls?  :P

There's a nerd event I've been going to for over 20 years.  The first woman didn't show up until 1996 I think.  Now they are 15-20% of the attendees (and generally aren't as wide as the men).

Josquius

Todays random thoughts were about public transportation.
In Japan trains run by ticketing barriers. You don't have the right ticket on the train then you just buy it when you get to your destination.
In Europe though things tend to be a bit meaner. There are no barriers but there are ticket inspectors popping up on the transport every so often to fine you if you have the wrong one.

I was wondering on this...There are two extremes.
1: No inspectors at all. Nobody will ever buy a ticket as a result and you will not make any money.
2: Every single train has an inspector. Everyone but a few idiots and tourists will buy a ticket but those inspectors cost a lot of money and the lack of income from any fines will be a major loss. Plus I guess there would be some degradation of service factor with the annoyance of having inspectors bothering you all the time, but this is not an important point.

I wonder then...where between these points is the sweet spot?
You need enough inspectors to dissuade too many people from taking a chance but not enough that you seriously cut down on penalty fees and raise wages too high.
I wonder if public transportation companies have done any studies on this.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on May 05, 2015, 11:45:39 AM
In the video that screenshot is from there's a pregnant nerd.  Clearly nerds are capable of reproducing.

Ah, but you remember the joke, right?  Woman (fairly attractive one-- a real outlier) tells triumph she has a future Jedi on the way. Triumph tells her when said future Jedi is born it will be the last time he will ever see female genitalia.

Valmy

Old jokes from ancient stereotypes that in no way resemble current realities are kind of funny if you are old like us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2015, 12:11:20 PM
Ah, but you remember the joke, right?  Woman (fairly attractive one-- a real outlier) tells triumph she has a future Jedi on the way. Triumph tells her when said future Jedi is born it will be the last time he will ever see female genitalia.

The joke is funny, in fact the whole video is hilarious.  What's your point?