Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on March 24, 2015, 01:35:28 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 24, 2015, 01:31:23 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 24, 2015, 01:30:09 AM
My Ukrainian cleaning lady sent me a Facebook friend request. Should I accept?

Is she hot?

Can I have her if I come and visit?

Semi.

Norgy

Quote from: Caliga on March 23, 2015, 06:20:44 PM
Quote from: Norgy on March 23, 2015, 05:55:30 PM
Beer is beer. The difference between a lager and porter is colour.
:wacko:

Take it from someone who at times imbibed 15 litres a day.

Beer is after a while just beer.

Of course, the experience might be different if you aren't a raging alcoholic like me and shotgun a beer when you wake up. Lukewarm and then a cigarette.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2015, 10:51:39 PM
:huh: I took
QuoteOB (another kraut brew) was 80% of the market.
to mean that it was German.

It is/was German the same way Tsingtao is German.

Norgy

I always found Tiger, Tsingtao and Chang lacking in taste.

German lagers taste a lot of hop. Stella from Belgium is something you can just pound down by the litre. For me, the best beer was always Carlsberg's "Sort Guld". Or "Black Gold" in English. It had a good taste, was around 5,5 % alcohol content and went down like a horny lesbian.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2015, 07:31:48 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2015, 10:51:39 PM
:huh: I took
QuoteOB (another kraut brew) was 80% of the market.
to mean that it was German.

It is/was German the same way Tsingtao is German.

Seems like a good number of out of the way breweries were either started by Krauts or Brits.  Quilmes in Argentina was started by a Kraut.  Windhoek as well.  The Brits got things going on the subcontinent.

And I guess all the major US breweries were founded by Krauts.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2015, 09:07:02 AM
And I guess all the major US breweries were founded by Krauts.

Yes...yes they were

Those were the days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Norgy on March 24, 2015, 07:03:03 AM
Take it from someone who at times imbibed 15 litres a day.

Beer is after a while just beer.

Of course, the experience might be different if you aren't a raging alcoholic like me and shotgun a beer when you wake up. Lukewarm and then a cigarette.

Yep, may be a little different.  I find that if I go several days without drinking, my sense of taste is sharper the next time I do have a beer.  And if I'm at a beer festival, the last few beers of the night don't taste quite so distinctive.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

derspiess

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2015, 05:33:59 PM
I think the fact Canadians prefer to drink cheap American beer over their cheap domestic alternatives signals that they should stop pretending to be a country and just join us already.  :P

That was a sad part of the map. :(  Maybe Labatt and Molson just split the market too much?  I'd think those together, plus other bad Canadian beer like Kokanee :alberta: would easily overwhelm Bud.  Actually, I'd wage just putting Labatt Blue and Molson Canadian together would beat Bud.  (That's excluding the real gems of cheap Canadian beer, my two favorites: Labatt 50 and Molson Export. :cool: :Canuck:)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 24, 2015, 10:14:20 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2015, 05:33:59 PM
I think the fact Canadians prefer to drink cheap American beer over their cheap domestic alternatives signals that they should stop pretending to be a country and just join us already.  :P

That was a sad part of the map. :(  Maybe Labatt and Molson just split the market too much?  I'd think those together, plus other bad Canadian beer like Kokanee :alberta: would easily overwhelm Bud.  Actually, I'd wage just putting Labatt Blue and Molson Canadian together would beat Bud.  (That's excluding the real gems of cheap Canadian beer, my two favorites: Labatt 50 and Molson Export. :cool: :Canuck:)

It's a function of market-splitting, and not just between mass-market beers - in Canada, brand multiplication is the rule, and smaller brands and craft brews are gaining an ever-increasing share. This was from the market survey on which the chart is based.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Labatt Blue is my preferred hockey beer.  They sell 20 oz. cans for $2 at home games for our local ECHL team.