News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Hey Seedy, ever dropped these guys a resume?

QuoteSeafood fraud cases plummet as NOAA cuts investigators

Despite increases in fish importation and consumption, in the U.S., fraud cases have plummeted as NOAA cuts investigators.

In a sprawling warehouse five miles inland from the port of Newark, N.J., Special Agent Scott Doyle was dwarfed by the metal shipping container that had just arrived from Indonesia and was headed to Maryland. It held 14 tons of pasteurized crabmeat, packed into 28,008 one-pound cans.

To Doyle, who has been an investigator for 27 years at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Organization, the container held mysteries — and the potential for crimes. He's seen a lot over the years, enough to know that the crab might have been taken in violation of quotas or traded to another company with forged papers or repackaged as more expensive Maryland blue crab. It might even be a front for smuggling drugs or guns.

It's Doyle's job — and that of a shrinking band of fellow investigative agents — to sift those possibilities from the flood of crabmeat, fish and other imported and domestically harvested seafood.

Seafood fraud is a highly lucrative enterprise. American consumers ordering a sushi platter, fried crab cake, broiled sea bass or other seafood might not realize that about 25 percent of all wild-caught seafood imports are part of the illicit trade, according to a study published this year in the journal Marine Policy. Those illegal imports are worth $1.3 billion to $2.1 billion annually across the United States, the world's second-largest importer of seafood.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-fish-cops-20141206-story.html

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on December 09, 2014, 06:18:13 AM
Has Arianna Huffington been always so out of it? I started to follow her on Facebook and she just posts some feel good nonsense all the time. Latest - praising Modi for practising yoga (that's like praising Hitler for being a vegetarian).

He only did it for health reasons.  He wasn't going to impose it on the world or anything. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Brazen

Quote from: The Larch on December 09, 2014, 07:51:02 AM

To Doyle, who has been an investigator for 27 years at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Organization, the container held mysteries — and the potential for crimes.
They'll rue the day they decided to mess with... POLICE SQUID!!!

The Larch

Malthus

Quote from: Brazen on December 09, 2014, 10:44:45 AM

To Doyle, who has been an investigator for 27 years at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Organization, the container held mysteries — and the potential for crimes.
They'll rue the day they decided to mess with... POLICE SQUID!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/20/new-police-pursuit-ending-device-inspired-by-spiderman-squid/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Why?  One of the walkaways of the article is that there aren't enough investigators anymore because the Federal government is gutting positions.  Kinda tough to apply to an agency that is only not hiring, but shrinking.
I've stopped wasting my time with the government a couple months ago.  I'm not a veteran.

Martinus

This is exactly what happened to me lately:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/noah-michelson/facebook-friend-one-night-stands_b_6293812.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000050

Incidentally, is it normal that until that happened I did not know the last names of most of these guys?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on December 09, 2014, 11:50:06 AM
Incidentally, is it normal that until that happened I did not know the last names of most of these guys?

A bit slutty, perhaps.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 09, 2014, 11:00:59 AM

Why?  One of the walkaways of the article is that there aren't enough investigators anymore because the Federal government is gutting positions.  Kinda tough to apply to an agency that is only not hiring, but shrinking.
I've stopped wasting my time with the government a couple months ago.  I'm not a veteran.

Yeah, I know it paints a bleak picture, but I figured it'd be a field that interests you, what with dealing with environmental protection and being close to home. Things might cange in the future.  :)

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on December 09, 2014, 08:40:50 AM

Does she ever have that small flag as a lapel pin? Never saw that on her.

Sheilbh

Today in British news:
QuoteARISTOCRAT THREATENED LOVER WITH KNIVES WHILE HIGH ON MDMA   
FULHAM, SOUTHWEST LONDON; SCARBOROUGH, YORKS

An aristocrat threatened his girlfriend with a pair of ten inch kitchen knives in the street while high on MDMA, a court heard today (Tues). James Lumley-Savile, 39, great-great-grandson of the Eighth Earl of Scarborough, flew into a drug fuelled rage at his partner Inda Pap that left witnesses fearing for her life. The heir to the title Baron Savile waved the blades around above his head at his terrified girlfriend outside his £800,000 Fulham home, jurors heard. A minicab driver Ms Pap called in a bid to escape her angry boyfriend told Isleworth Crown Court he thought the Eton educated businessman was 'going to kill her.'

- See more at: http://courtnewsuk.co.uk/newsgallery/?public_id=39232#sthash.ESahOjvS.dpuf
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

So this bar opened up in place of what had been a long running gay latino bar (around the block from where I lived in SF). The former bar was rather foul and smelled like a mix of bleach and bodily fluids - I went a grand total of once. Peeps on my facebook are now suggesting that people boycott the nice looking one as it "gentrified away" the former bar. :lol:

http://sfist.com/2014/12/08/now_open_in_former_esta_noche_space.php
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.