News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2014, 06:49:12 PM
Fuck this I'm joining the Communist Party.
http://qz.com/300351/inside-the-44-page-menu-of-americas-only-water-sommelier/

It's 1) very silly, and 2) it's LA silly, and that's the silliest silly there is.

Eddie Teach

Sheilbh ordered the one with fluorine.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

LA water snobbery has been amply documented in the movies.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Josquius

I tried to get up at 7  today. Much too dark.
I dont know how people manage it
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Really? They point this out to perspective students and their parents? That's going to make parents want to send their daughters there?

Between the time I walked into Old Cabell Hall, which houses the Music Department at the University of Virginia, where I work as a professor, and the time I got to my office Wednesday morning, I heard the word "rape" seven times. Wednesday was the day Rolling Stone published the story of a UVA student who says she was gang-raped in a fraternity. If anyone at the University of Virginia was shocked by this article, then they have not been paying attention.

A very expensive mural called "The Student's Progress" covers the entire foyer and stairwell of Old Cabell Hall, which is also the University's premier auditorium and the favored space for visiting dignitaries. The mural depicts, among other scenes of daily life at the University of Virginia, a male faculty member standing on a porch and tossing a mostly naked student her bra as his beleaguered wife comes up the stairs. My students and I have pointed out that wildly inappropriate section of the mural to faculty, administrators, students, parents, and donors, but so far, no one has been particularly horrified. The mural is proudly displayed and is prominently featured on UVA tours.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

So, paintings depicting consensual adulterous relationships are somehow a sign of widespread acceptance of rape?  :huh:

Martinus

More news from Poland:

QuotePoles try to promote pork to Muslims

2014/11/25

Ever eager to promote Polish products abroad, the Polish Minister of Agriculture, Marek Sawicki, attended the Middle East Food Exhibition (SIAL) in Abu Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates, between November 24-26, 2014.

Mr Sawicki, a member of the Polish Peasants Party (PSL),  junior partners of Civic Platform (PO) in the Polish government, may have made a serious gaffe concerning the religious and dietary customs of Muslim majority nations.  The Polish products exhibition heavily promoted the virtues of Polish pork, a food strictly taboo to virtually all citizens of the United Arab Emirates, as well as those living in the nations bordering the Emirates.

Had Mr Sawicki made an enormous blunder in his promotion of pork to Muslims? He claimed this not to be the case, as many food importers from beyond the Middle East had been present at the exhibition.

Sz-n.com, however, suggests the Minister concerned and his department were simply unaware of Muslim dietary customs and taboos. It would be as if the Korean Department of Agriculture decided to promote the finest cuts of dog at a European Food Exhibition.

:lol:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 26, 2014, 06:23:34 AM
So, paintings depicting consensual adulterous relationships are somehow a sign of widespread acceptance of rape?  :huh:

I just wanted to post about the mural and that it was strange that they would point it out to perspective students and parents. However, it's a rather public display of misogyny so I can kind of see where she's coming from. It's just one piece of a larger culture.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 26, 2014, 06:36:16 AM
However, it's a rather public display of misogyny

Only if one wishes to see misogyny there.

Tamas

"Whenever we move away from voluntary collaboration, and try to do good via force, the bad moral value of force always triumphs over good intentions".

The very basic truth about social engineering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYeYPcougmA

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on November 26, 2014, 08:37:44 AM
"Whenever we move away from voluntary collaboration, and try to do good via force, the bad moral value of force always triumphs over good intentions".

The very basic truth about social engineering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYeYPcougmA
Blah, blah, blah.  More empty over-generalizations.  Classic example of libertarians taking an idea that is true at extremes, and making a leap of faith that it continues to be true at every other level.  No phenomenon is ever more complicated than a simple linear relationship in the simple minds of those who think they're the only ones in possession of "very basic truths".