And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 25, 2014, 02:24:31 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 25, 2014, 11:17:42 AM

I think Garbon is on to an important point, you don't have to continually feed yourself to avoid feeling slightly hungry. It's a perfectly natural feeling that can be listened to or ignored if you wish.

If I stay up late, I habitually do to bed, stomach slightly growling, maybe feeling a bit hungry. But it doesn't kill me and the downsides to eating just before bed I don't like.

Net effect of not eating after 9/10 pm is I sometimes don't eat for a whole 10-12 hours, hasn't killed me and I think it helps promote a more sensible approach to weight/diet, both psychologically and physiologically. 

We should have a nutrient thread, with a side order of diet issues. In addition to diet in it's wider sense.

Your body is designed to fast periodically. There are tons of benefits to that.

I don't think it is good to intentionally fast. You body copes, but it copes by finding energy from sources like your muscles, and slowing your metabolism by doing things like making you lethargic to the point you don't want to exercise.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on November 25, 2014, 10:00:02 AM
For very short-term weight loss, I recommend climbing a mountain and not eating.  Very short-term. <_<

I mean, I realize that the five pounds I've put back on owe more to the fact I've rehydrated than the 3000 pizza calories I ate Sunday, but it's still disheartening.

Let me guess:
Saturday: climb a mountain, no proper meals
Sunday: serious hunger sets in, so you scarf down a 3,000 calorie pizza as your one major meal of the day
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on November 25, 2014, 02:30:44 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 25, 2014, 02:24:31 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 25, 2014, 11:17:42 AM

I think Garbon is on to an important point, you don't have to continually feed yourself to avoid feeling slightly hungry. It's a perfectly natural feeling that can be listened to or ignored if you wish.

If I stay up late, I habitually do to bed, stomach slightly growling, maybe feeling a bit hungry. But it doesn't kill me and the downsides to eating just before bed I don't like.

Net effect of not eating after 9/10 pm is I sometimes don't eat for a whole 10-12 hours, hasn't killed me and I think it helps promote a more sensible approach to weight/diet, both psychologically and physiologically. 

We should have a nutrient thread, with a side order of diet issues. In addition to diet in it's wider sense.

Your body is designed to fast periodically. There are tons of benefits to that.

I don't think it is good to intentionally fast. You body copes, but it copes by finding energy from sources like your muscles, and slowing your metabolism by doing things like making you lethargic to the point you don't want to exercise.

I think we might be at cross purposes, you, MBM and I. I'm thinking of upto about a 14-15 hour stretch in a day when you don't eat, don't think I would manage much more than that.

I figure there's enough glycogen in my liver and muscles to power me through a good part of the day/night without snacking.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on November 25, 2014, 02:32:56 PM
For very short-term weight loss, I recommend climbing a mountain and not eating.  Very short-term. <_<

I mean, I realize that the five pounds I've put back on owe more to the fact I've rehydrated than the 3000 pizza calories I ate Sunday, but it's still disheartening.

Let me guess:
Sunday: serious hunger sets in, so you scarf down a 3,000 calorie pizza as your one major meal of the day

I also ate most of a microwave burrito, but it didn't cook all the way through.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Anyway, I'm not the one who was all "IF I DON'T EAT THIS CHICKEN I'LL DIE." :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on November 25, 2014, 02:43:34 PM

Let me guess:

You would probably get better results by eating regular meals. I think the feast / famine route you are taking is going to get your body preparing for the famine by storing fat. You probably got around 4,000 calories the two days: why not eat 2,000 a day?

Josquius

Let me guess:
:yes:
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on November 25, 2014, 02:44:45 PM
Anyway, I'm not the one who was all "IF I DON'T EAT THIS CHICKEN I'LL DIE." :P

I was hungry. I'm not out to starve myself.  :P

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on November 25, 2014, 02:46:43 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 25, 2014, 02:43:34 PM

Let me guess:

You would probably get better results by eating regular meals. I think the feast / famine route you are taking is going to get your body preparing for the famine by storing fat. You probably got around 4,000 calories the two days: why not eat 2,000 a day?

Well, all kidding aside, I wasn't hungry and pretty nauseous.
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on November 25, 2014, 02:49:21 PM

Well, all kidding aside, I wasn't hungry and pretty nauseous.

Even before getting in the car? Sorry.  :(

Ideologue

On Sat? Yeah, a little. I mean, I walked up a mountain.

Not why I got carsick, tho.
Kinemalogue

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DGuller on November 22, 2014, 10:58:15 AM
How hard would it have been for the animators to draw some genitalia on Winnie?  That would've avoided that whole problem.

:lol:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!