And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on November 24, 2014, 10:57:44 PM
Audio record of the end of WWI - the guns firing near the Moselle River:

I think firing all the guns just before the end was a really shitty thing to do.

Josquius

Yeah. It is pretty fucked up to think they had the peace all lined up and an exact time when it would start but until then they still actively tried to kill each other.
Would be horrible for someone to get through the whole war only to die then.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Operations continued right up the final whistle in many areas, IIRC. I've always wondered why they didn't agree to an immediate ceasefire during the Armistice negotiations.

EDIT: According to wikipedia (I know)

QuoteAn example of the determination of the Allies to maintain pressure until the last minute, but also to adhere strictly to the Armistice terms, was Battery 4 of the US Navy's long-range 14-inch railway guns firing its last shot at 10:57:30 am from the Verdun area, timed to land far behind the German front line just before the scheduled Armistice.[20]

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 24, 2014, 09:15:11 PM
Wasn't there a Languishite arguing that it doesn't matter what kind of calories you eat, but weight loss was only a matter of calories in vs. calories out?  :P
I don't know if you're referring specifically to me, but I was one of them.  That said, some kinds of foods definitely provoke much more of an appetite than others, and sooner or later you're going to eat as much as you appetite tells you to eat.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 25, 2014, 08:52:54 AM
sooner or later you're going to eat as much as you appetite tells you to eat.

You can suppress it for a long time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I recommend smoking and self-loathing, the model diet :)
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I wouldn't recommend smoking, no need to compound the health problem.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

For very short-term weight loss, I recommend climbing a mountain and not eating.  Very short-term. <_<

I mean, I realize that the five pounds I've put back on owe more to the fact I've rehydrated than the 3000 pizza calories I ate Sunday, but it's still disheartening.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on November 25, 2014, 09:28:04 AM

Not for the rest of your life.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 25, 2014, 10:34:13 AM

I don't think anyone is suggesting that a person take in no-to minimal calories for the rest of their lives. I can tell you that while initially my stomach would growl when I was eating less, eventually it came to terms with the amount of food that I was eating. I wasn't starving by any means as my weight eventually reached a steady state - just the daily amount of calories I had to take in, else I felt hungry eventually leveled off.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 25, 2014, 10:49:09 AM

I don't think anyone is suggesting that a person take in no-to minimal calories for the rest of their lives. I can tell you that while initially my stomach would growl when I was eating less, eventually it came to terms with the amount of food that I was eating. I wasn't starving by any means as my weight eventually reached a steady state - just the daily amount of calories I had to take in, else I felt hungry eventually leveled off.

I think Garbon is on to an important point, you don't have to continually feed yourself to avoid feeling slightly hungry. It's a perfectly natural feeling that can be listened to or ignored if you wish.

If I stay up late, I habitually do to bed, stomach slightly growling, maybe feeling a bit hungry. But it doesn't kill me and the downsides to eating just before bed I don't like.

Net effect of not eating after 9/10 pm is I sometimes don't eat for a whole 10-12 hours, hasn't killed me and I think it helps promote a more sensible approach to weight/diet, both psychologically and physiologically. 

We should have a nutrient thread, with a side order of diet issues. In addition to diet in it's wider sense. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Tamas on November 25, 2014, 04:51:50 AM
I think firing all the guns just before the end was a really shitty thing to do.

Quote from: Tyr on November 25, 2014, 07:03:24 AM
Yeah. It is pretty fucked up to think they had the peace all lined up and an exact time when it would start but until then they still actively tried to kill each other.
Would be horrible for someone to get through the whole war only to die then.

As far as both sides were concerned at the moment, 1100 11NOV18 was not the end of the war.  It was a cease-fire to negotiate the end of the war.  It turned into the end of the war later.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on November 25, 2014, 10:49:09 AM

Yeah, it is much easier to get your stomach used to more eating than to less (or at least feels like it because it is more fun) but it is certainly possible.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on November 25, 2014, 11:17:42 AM

I think Garbon is on to an important point, you don't have to continually feed yourself to avoid feeling slightly hungry. It's a perfectly natural feeling that can be listened to or ignored if you wish.

If I stay up late, I habitually do to bed, stomach slightly growling, maybe feeling a bit hungry. But it doesn't kill me and the downsides to eating just before bed I don't like.

Net effect of not eating after 9/10 pm is I sometimes don't eat for a whole 10-12 hours, hasn't killed me and I think it helps promote a more sensible approach to weight/diet, both psychologically and physiologically. 

We should have a nutrient thread, with a side order of diet issues. In addition to diet in it's wider sense.

Your body is designed to fast periodically. There are tons of benefits to that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers