News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I think the long-term prospects for corporatism isn't good. Society is shifting away from that type of life. Seedy will get his revenge.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 11, 2014, 08:35:12 PM
I think the long-term prospects for corporatism isn't good. Society is shifting away from that type of life. Seedy will get his revenge.

What do you base this on?  The state owned enterprise is on its last legs.  What alternatives are there?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2014, 08:44:00 PM

What do you base this on?  The state owned enterprise is on its last legs.  What alternatives are there?

I mean the lifestyle of daddy corporation taking care of people. We're moving to nontraditional types of employment, contract work and small business. One other thing that's been growing massively is VC firms and angel investment and companies are staying private (non-traded) longer. Society is shifting from the regimented fixed paths to success to a more creative era. All the barriers and hoops to jump through really benefited the corporate lifestyle, but now that lifestyle isn't making people feel secure anymore. There are just a lot of cyclical type changes like that. People questioning college where before it was pretty much a religion. Government isn't really part of it yet. They're too slow moving. They're still promoting the old way but that won't last forever.

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

Wait, gutted benefits, temporary employment, and closely-held ownership are society's salvation? :unsure:

Well, I understand the part where Yi understands. :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ideologue on November 11, 2014, 09:52:38 PM
Wait, gutted benefits, temporary employment, and closely-held ownership are society's salvation? :unsure:

Well, I understand the part where Yi understands. :D

No those are the symptoms of the breakdown. Hopefully the salvation will be a kind of life that doesn't look like corporate hell in the future.

CountDeMoney

The long-term prospects for American corporatism is excellent.  American society has become used to it, and has bought into it. 

When you've convinced the majority of the electorate to support an economic model that is fundamentally against their own interests and that of the nation's, you've already won.   Cha. Ching.

MadImmortalMan

They won't be convinced much longer. That's my guess anyway.

CountDeMoney

Sure they will.  Why wouldn't they?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2014, 11:42:45 PM
Sure they will.  Why wouldn't they?

Because the only reason they ever did in the first place was because it felt safe and predictable. Now it's losing that. The main thing that convinced them is going away.

Brazen

Some awesome infographics about London. It may help explain some of the things I frequently bang on about, like ethnic mix, rent increases and lengthy commutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29915801

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 11, 2014, 04:41:02 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2014, 04:29:02 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 11, 2014, 04:16:26 PM
Just saw this from some Yougov polling which I thought was pretty striking:

I don't see why, you've always known the results.
I'm surprised at the UK figures and that there's that big a moral/values difference.

That's a pointless poll. There is "duty to contribute" as in paying for the maintenance of police/army/etc. which I 100% support, and there is "duty to contribute" as in making sure people who don't need council housing can continue living in them, which is just bollocks. So, pointless poll is pointless.

Brazen

There's abuse of every facet of tax in every country. People insist on unnecessary medication and waste doctor's time. Soldiers steal gear from military warehouses.

Do you agree that council houses for people who can't afford to buy or rent privately is necessary? You have to soak up the odd piss-taker. Like benefits, it's nothing like as much as the tabloids would have you believe, though most people would agree that the system of council house for life and hereditary housing needs to be overhauled.

The UK still has one of the lowest levels of taxation for its GDP and thankfully few of the poorest fall through the cracks. By far the largest proportion of your tax goes on state pensions.

And at least we didn't have to get Jimmy Carter in to build houses. :P

http://www.habitatforhumanity.org.uk/Hungary

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?