Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 30, 2014, 09:40:42 PM
Korean authorities are obviously concerned about the problem,
:yeahright::yeahright::yeahright:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2014, 11:08:37 PM
Oh for fucksake.  What did I kick your dog or something?

:huh:

I thought you were taking the piss and was returning more or less in kind...

Tonitrus

Jacob

Valmy, to make it up to you I offer you this link detailing a groundbreaking new development in Texas politics: the officially sanctioned use of animated cat gifs: http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2013/08/lietenant_governor_candidate_d.php

... as a local, any insight you could offer on this phenomenon will be appreciated by everyone here, I'm sure.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2014, 12:20:52 AM
Valmy, to make it up to you I offer you this link detailing a groundbreaking new development in Texas politics: the officially sanctioned use of animated cat gifs: http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2013/08/lietenant_governor_candidate_d.php

... as a local, any insight you could offer on this phenomenon will be appreciated by everyone here, I'm sure.

As a local I try to avoid anything that psycho Dan Patrick puts out. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2014, 11:30:31 PM

I was trying to figure out what the hell you meant by 10x the going rate for bar drinks. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 12:32:50 AM
I was trying to figure out what the hell you meant by 10x the going rate for bar drinks.

It was a rhetorical flourish, really, to mean very expensive by local standards. The main thrust of that part, however, was that they weren't even the drinks they were alleged to be - in the particular example the "gin & tonic" was actually tap water with a bit of lemon juice.

To make it clear how obvious it is, the guys often get free alcohol at those places.

Josquius

That you cant buy them drinks at work is fair enough. I dont know rhe korean system but yeah even if not prostitution its on the road to there.
But outside of work being banned too? In japan i knew one or two girls who worked in dnack bars and they were pretty normal outside of work. Seems lame to deny being friends or more with them
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

I don't know if this story is real, but if it is, I don't know how I would react about it. You know what happens when you assume...

From Reddit's TIFU (Today I Fucked Up) section:

QuoteTIFU by making a stupid assumption about my adopted son.

Well, I suppose this fuck up has happened today, and has been happening everyday for the past seventeen years.

About seventeen years ago my wife and I adopted a baby from an Asian American family. While we knew very little details, basically what happened with them is that we learned they were too young for children. I made very little inquiries as (they seemed embarrassed/I didn't want to pry). I was just excited to have a son and couldn't have cared less about the parent's history, besides their current and future well being. So as long as they were healthy and willing to gift me with their child, I really did not go too much into their histories. This was my major fuck up. My wife and I choose to adopt this baby because we felt for the parents and anyone that has been through the adoption process knows that it is much easier to get a non-white baby than it is to get a white one (which is fucked up IMO) and we wanted one NOW and didn't want to be on a wait list.

Anyway we adopt this beautiful, loving, affectionate and incredible baby. It's truly love at first sight for all of us. Around about eight months we start to feel a little bit of guilt about not raising him in his on ethnic culture and given that we live in an area with a major Chinese population, it would be very easy to introduce him to his roots. So for the next seventeen years we do everything we can to honor his ethnicity. We send him to Chinese language courses and by five he's fluent in Mandarin and English, he gets an "adopted" by a Chinese aunt and uncle (they taught him cultural things and celebrate certain holidays and take him for dim sum every couple of weeks). We've been taking him to China every two years since he was eight. We weren't trying to force him to take up his culture as an "other" in our family, but we didn't want to rob him of it or completely whitewash him either. We try and be PC as possible and we thought we were doing the right thing.

He's the best thing that has ever happened to me and my wife. There is not a day were I don't just look at him and smile warmly. I love him.

Anyway we are filling out his college apps/financial aid applications and doing that whole thing. I go to my home office and go through some files and find his old adoption records. I'm not really paying much attention to them and then his biological parents surnames pop out and basically punch me in the face. His parent's last names were PARK AND KIM. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK.

For those of you that do not know, those are Korean last names. My son is not Chinese. Not even a little bit.

He's Korean.

I suppose I just assumed it because we live in an area on the west coast where there are a lot of Chinese immigrants and Chinese-Americans have been living for generations and generations. I don't always assume every Asian is Chinese, but I did assume this for my son. Now I have a seventeen year old Korean son that thinks he's Chinese. Now that I look at him, he looks INCREDIBLY Korean in comparassion to all of the photos of Korean men that I have just googled. Very square jaw, less hooded eyes, very broad build. None of this ever crossed my mind. I've dedicated nearly two decades to helping my son be close to roots that aren't even his. I realize that I've just been fucking up. I feel like a complete asshole to the nth degree. I'm that dumb liberal white dickhead. Fuck.

I have yet to disclose this to my son or wife.

I honestly don't even know if I will.

The Brain

Well Koreans are the Germans of Asia. At least Korean restaurants play umpa umpa a lot.

celedhring

I go to my home office and go through some files and find his old adoption records. I'm not really paying much attention to them and then his biological parents surnames pop out and basically punch me in the face.

I'm no legal expert but I doubt that you get the biological parents' names neatly printed in a piece of paper when you adopt a child. Screams fake to me.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on October 31, 2014, 05:31:17 AM
I go to my home office and go through some files and find his old adoption records. I'm not really paying much attention to them and then his biological parents surnames pop out and basically punch me in the face.

I'm no legal expert but I doubt that you get the biological parents' names neatly printed in a piece of paper when you adopt a child. Screams fake to me.

Why wouldn't they use paper in the adoption business?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2014, 11:30:31 PM

This is how wars start.   :mad:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 12:32:50 AM

Back in the 50s and 60s, it was called hostessing.

Go to a strip club, one of the club girls sit with you.  May be a dancer, may not.  She asks you to buy her a drink.  What you are doing is buying time.  Her time is about $30-$50 a drink.  Some places, when she gets her drink, will give her a poker chip or other marker that she can turn in at the end of the night for her share of the tips. 
During that time she's sitting with you, you can discuss other transactions which may or may not occur there, in the VIP Lounge or whatever cordoned off space the dump has, or whatever.  Because prostitution is illegal, the club's defense would be that you simply "bought her a drink."

They like young guys because young guys have cash but are timid, and are stupid enough to keep buying $30 drinks over and over with no expectations. They don't like to sit with guys like me, because I will be spanking that ass during my complimentary handjob in the VIP lounge inside of 10 minutes.