News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 30, 2014, 06:45:50 PM
I guess banning prostitution alone is not enough, so now buying a woman a drink is encouraging the objectification of women, reinforces sexist attitudes, and is demeaning.  :)

:huh:

You do know that expected buying of overpriced drinks is a stock in trade for the prostitution business, right?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2014, 06:51:13 PM
I guess banning prostitution alone is not enough, so now buying a woman a drink is encouraging the objectification of women, reinforces sexist attitudes, and is demeaning.  :)

You do know that expected buying of overpriced drinks is a stock in trade for the prostitution business, right?

Of course.  It is more of a commentary on how we might be going about things in the wrong way.

alfred russel

:yes: Also the nightclub industry. And the events industry.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on October 30, 2014, 08:25:42 PM

No, not in the same way. The buying of water with a little bit of lemon juice masquerading as "gin & tonic" et. al. at 10 times the going rate for "the girls" is not a mainstay of the nightclub and events industries in the same way it is in the sex trade.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 30, 2014, 05:55:57 PM
I spent 30 minutes leading a ravenous pack of children trick or treating. Wife can take them back out for another 30 minutes.

Needed a goddamn leash.

I have inspected the candy and as supreme overlord, took my rightful share of loot in Smarties.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2014, 08:28:20 PM

No, not in the same way. The buying of water with a little bit of lemon juice masquerading as "gin & tonic" et. al. at 10 times the going rate for "the girls" is not a mainstay of the nightclub and events industries in the same way it is in the sex trade.

:yes: When I patronize the nightclub and events industries, I don't get to have sex with anyone after buying their crappy overpriced drinks.

:P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

MadImmortalMan

Don't forget the restaurant industry.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2014, 08:28:20 PM

10 times the going rate for a bar drink?  So...what $90?  I better get some prostitutes for that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on October 30, 2014, 08:36:30 PM:yes: When I patronize the nightclub and events industries, I don't get to have sex with anyone after buying their crappy overpriced drinks.

I can't tell if you've completely missed the point or if you just pretend you have because you think it's funny.

Asian girly clubs are not the same as the North American bar scene.

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2014, 09:24:55 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 30, 2014, 08:36:30 PM:yes: When I patronize the nightclub and events industries, I don't get to have sex with anyone after buying their crappy overpriced drinks.

I can't tell if you've completely missed the point or if you just pretend you have because you think it's funny.

Asian girly clubs are not the same as the North American bar scene.

I don't just think its funny. It is funny. I think.

Tonitrus

Well, as I said, the real idea in posting that article was a trend in, what I think, are ineffective, band-aid approaches to serious problems.

Prostitution was prohibited, but that didn't work, so bars that are know to promote prostitution are off-limits...didn't work, so now a legal act, but one associated with prostitution is banned.  Korean authorities are obviously concerned about the problem, but don't appear to be making any headway against the crimes on their end, nor in inhibiting the human trafficking...and our military's answer to everything in these cases is to just start banning/off-limiting/curfew-ing everything in sight.  What probably should be happening, is more raids and proactive action by Korean authorities, and far more U.S. service members being sent home with dishonorable discharges (procuring prostitutes is a UCMJ violation, after all).

For what is often considered a "right" leaning organization overall, court martial punishments in the DoD are way too often laughably lenient.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2014, 08:51:43 PM
10 times the going rate for a bar drink?  So...what $90?  I better get some prostitutes for that.

I don't think your bar-going experience is that accurate a fit for what goes on in Asian girly bars, though of course I don't know how you spend your time...

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2014, 09:50:30 PM

I don't think your bar-going experience is that accurate a fit for what goes on in Asian girly bars, though of course I don't know how you spend your time...

I do go to non-Asian non-girly bars so I was reacting to your '10x the going rate' as 10x times the going rate for drinks at bars.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2014, 10:06:42 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2014, 09:50:30 PM

I do go to non-Asian non-girly bars so I was reacting to your '10x the going rate' as 10x times the going rate for drinks at bars.

Okay, though I didn't actually say "10x the going rate of drinks in the bars Valmy frequent in Texas."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2014, 11:01:06 PM
Okay, though I didn't actually say "10x the going rate of drinks in the bars Valmy frequent in Texas."

Oh for fucksake.  What did I kick your dog or something?