News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

You get invaded a lot and I guess you need to learn more languages.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2014, 07:03:03 PM
Luxemburgers are special indeed.  Their median number of languages spoken is greater than the mean number of languages spoken.  :hmm:

Let's say there are 5 people in Lux, speaking 5,5,4,1,1 languages
Median is 4
Mean is 3.2
Basically it could happen if few people speak >5 but there is a bunch of people at 1.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 28, 2014, 07:13:07 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2014, 07:03:03 PM
Luxemburgers are special indeed.  Their median number of languages spoken is greater than the mean number of languages spoken.  :hmm:

Let's say there are 5 people in Lux, speaking 5,5,4,1,1 languages
Median is 4
Mean is 3.2
Basically it could happen if few people speak >5 but there is a bunch of people at 1.
I'm not saying it's impossible, the median can be to the either side fo the mean, but it means that they skew differently from the rest (actually, Greeks have that as well, I guess financial powerhouse nations are special).

alfred russel

Here is a hunch...locals can generally speak French, German, English, and Luxembourgish. Except for English they are all practically mandatory to live there (also granting that Luxembourgish is a made up language that is really a dialect of German).

Like everywhere else, there are probably a number of people that are monolingual or bilingual (say if I moved there, I'd be fine just speaking English and ignoring their barbarian tongues).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

I'm curious what level of language competence is implied.

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on October 28, 2014, 07:51:02 PM
Here is a hunch...locals can generally speak French, German, English, and Luxembourgish. Except for English they are all practically mandatory to live there (also granting that Luxembourgish is a made up language that is really a dialect of German).

Like everywhere else, there are probably a number of people that are monolingual or bilingual (say if I moved there, I'd be fine just speaking English and ignoring their barbarian tongues).

One of these days The Netherlands and Scandinavian countries are just going to declare English as their primary language.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 28, 2014, 07:08:57 PM
You get invaded a lot and I guess you need to learn more languages.

Or, you know, banking and stuff.

Liep

So Ryanair has announced it'll open 13 routes from Copenhagen, if this means we can now also get tickets to London for £15 like the Jutes can I'll be happy, but like everything else in Copenhagen it'll probably be more expensive.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

A £15 plane ticket is nice but there is the problem of being in london at the end of it
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Just was looking through the comments on a youtube video and saw somebody using Raz's avatar.  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Liep on October 29, 2014, 03:26:06 AM
So Ryanair has announced it'll open 13 routes from Copenhagen, if this means we can now also get tickets to London for £15 like the Jutes can I'll be happy, but like everything else in Copenhagen it'll probably be more expensive.

Flying Ryanair? Be serious. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on October 29, 2014, 07:45:30 AM

I'll always prefer SAS or alternatively Norwegian, but it'll provide some competition.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Is that like Air Jamaica for Irishmen?

mongers

But what is the True cost?  :cry:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Liep on October 29, 2014, 08:20:17 AM

I'll always prefer SAS or alternatively Norwegian, but it'll provide some competition.

I took them once and never again. EasyJet seems like the lap of luxury compared to RyanAir.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.