News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Also, spiess, there's a booth for Argentina but for some weird reason they call it 'Patagonia'. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2014, 02:10:51 PM
Here I thought the Portuguese spoke multiple languages.  Can we have a soda map of Europe for each language in every country?

That one surprised me too, I expected most of them to speak Spanish as well.
And Ireland, so few Irish speakers?

MadImmortalMan

Pff. Like 4000 people speak Irish. Even though they try to teach it a bit in schools.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 28, 2014, 02:26:24 PM
Pff. Like 4000 people speak Irish. Even though they try to teach it a bit in schools.

They are required by law for a certain percentage of their radio and TV broadcasts be in Irish.  It is pretty trippy to listen to.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 28, 2014, 02:26:24 PM

Not many native speakers, maybe. But a substantial part should be able to speak it as a second language, I'd have thought.

edit: around 40%, apparently.

The Brain

There you go. And since almost no Irish people speak a foreign language...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Someone sent this to me and send it made them think of me. :huh:

My co-worker helpfully suggested that perhaps it means they want to have a baby with me.

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/sarcastic-moms-caption-idealistic-stock-photos

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Sarcasm is our new national sport.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 28, 2014, 03:39:37 PM
Sarcasm is our new national sport.

Those photos weren't particularly sarcastic / seemed better geared for new mothers. I'd more inclined to say something like "And then she locked him away in the closet" or "she liked imaginary children best of all."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

In 1891 a man named Sylvain Dornon walked from Paris to Moscow on stilts.  It took him 58 days.  He die in obscurity cursing the Wright Brothers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on October 28, 2014, 05:49:40 PM
In 1891 a man named Sylvain Dornon walked from Paris to Moscow on stilts.  It took him 58 days.  He die in obscurity cursing the Wright Brothers.

There's a Russian who's cycled around an appreciable amount of the world's coastlines, it might only be a few percents given it's fractual nature, but he's probably done more than anyone else dead or alive.

He had some really amazing/hair-raising adventures, but because he did it just before/ on the cusp of the internet's birth, there's very little out there about him. I'll see what I can come up with.

But really someone should write a movie script of is adventures, because it embraces the aftermath of the Soviet Union, Third world civil wars and all points between, including arms traffickers.

edit:

Turns out he's still alive and still persuing it, so there's a bit more about him on the web than I thought.

Some details here:
http://englishrussia.com/2010/05/15/cycling-around-the-world/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote. In two field studies with a combined sample of 103 men and women recruited at two bars in Grenoble, France, participants were presented with a moral dilemma assessing their willingness to sacrifice one life to save five others. Participants' blood alcohol concentrations were found to positively correlate with utilitarian preferences(r = .31, p < .001) suggesting a stronger role for impaired social cognition than intact deliberative reasoning in predicting utilitarian responses [emphasis added] in the trolley dilemma

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2014/10/the-drunk-utilitarian.html#sthash.HzBvLkhG.dpuf
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 28, 2014, 06:41:40 PM
Quote. In two field studies with a combined sample of 103 men and women recruited at two bars in Grenoble, France, participants were presented with a moral dilemma assessing their willingness to sacrifice one life to save five others. Participants' blood alcohol concentrations were found to positively correlate with utilitarian preferences(r = .31, p < .001) suggesting a stronger role for impaired social cognition than intact deliberative reasoning in predicting utilitarian responses [emphasis added] in the trolley dilemma

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2014/10/the-drunk-utilitarian.html#sthash.HzBvLkhG.dpuf

We built an empire on this 'spirit'.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on October 28, 2014, 01:47:46 PM
Don't think we've had this one yet, even though it's from 2012:

I wonder if they count the regional languages of Spain for that map...  :hmm:

DGuller

Luxemburgers are special indeed.  Their median number of languages spoken is greater than the mean number of languages spoken.  :hmm: