And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on October 27, 2014, 01:19:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2014, 01:14:06 PM
MLA?  Modern Language Association?  Member of the Legislative Assemby?  Meat and Livestock Australia?  Master Locksmiths Association?

I'm going pretty deep into google and not turning anything up... :unsure:

Modern Language Association; the MLA Citation Style is one of the standard formats for citing sources:

https://www.library.cornell.edu/research/citation/mla

Jimmy Carter reported seeing a UFO, so "Citing UFOs" would be necessary for scholars of Jimmy Carter.

Jimmy Carter was also assaulted by a swimming rabbit - or was it really just a rabbit:hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Brazen on October 27, 2014, 12:21:41 PM
To which agency do nutters report UFO sightings in the USA? Is it direct to the the DoD? I know the MOD recently released some of its archives.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14486678

I don't report UFO sitings; the government knows all about UFOs and is covering it up. Letting them know about the UFO knowledge you have obtained helps them identify UFO leaks and plug them. I suspect the MLA Sav is speaking about what set up to further their UFO cover up agenda.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

Quote from: alfred russel on October 27, 2014, 01:29:05 PM
I don't report UFO sitings;

You should, the local zoning board has worked hard to make sure that UFOs are only sited in appropriate districts.  You wouldn't want UFO and commercial property co-sited on the same parcel; think of all the confusion that would create.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on October 27, 2014, 12:21:41 PM
To which agency do nutters report UFO sightings in the USA? Is it direct to the the DoD? I know the MOD recently released some of its archives.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14486678

When my Dad clerked with the FBI in the early '60s, they'd get a lot of calls on UFOs (among other nutter things). 

When they were bored, they'd call them back a week or so later, see how they're doing.  FBI just doesn't have that proactive commitment to the citizenry anymore.  :(

Savonarola

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 27, 2014, 02:54:35 PM
When my Dad clerked with the FBI in the early '60s, they'd get a lot of calls on UFOs (among other nutter things). 

When they were bored, they'd call them back a week or so later, see how they're doing.  FBI just doesn't have that proactive commitment to the citizenry anymore.  :(

My Dad worked for the Department of Defense; he said that in March, without fail, they would get letters from all sorts of crazies.  His favorite was a man who was convinced that the Soviets had subs in Lake Macatawa (part of the Macatawa river system which empties into Lake Michigan.)  The man thought that because there were a series of buoys in the lake, but they had the lake's old name, "Black Lake."  The Soviets were using the buoys to camouflage their subs, but didn't know the name of the lake had changed.  (How they snuck subs through either the Saint Lawrence Seaway or the Chicago River remains a mystery.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

lustindarkness

Quote from: Savonarola on October 27, 2014, 03:14:59 PM

My Dad worked for the Department of Defense; he said that in March, without fail, they would get letters from all sorts of crazies.  His favorite was a man who was convinced that the Soviets had subs in Lake Macatawa (part of the Macatawa river system which empties into Lake Michigan.)  The man thought that because there were a series of buoys in the lake, but they had the lake's old name, "Black Lake."  The Soviets were using the buoys to camouflage their subs, but didn't know the name of the lake had changed.  (How they snuck subs through either the Saint Lawrence Seaway or the Chicago River remains a mystery.)

They could have had a underground/water shipyard and build the subs in the lake.  :ph34r:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 27, 2014, 03:26:41 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 27, 2014, 03:14:59 PM

They could have had a underground/water shipyard and build the subs in the lake.  :ph34r:

Fair enough, Cobra Commander would have done it that way.

derspiess

Damned Russian sleeper subs are probably still out there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 27, 2014, 03:33:49 PM

Sleeping until the (red) stars are right.

MadImmortalMan

WTF happened to Dick Morris anyway? He's sure found himself a new niche in the market. Hard to believe this is the same guy who got Clinton re-elected. What a cynical bastard.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 27, 2014, 04:01:30 PM
WTF happened to Dick Morris anyway? He's sure found himself a new niche in the market. Hard to believe this is the same guy who got Clinton re-elected. What a cynical bastard.

He is just a hired gun. I think he was then and he is now.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on October 27, 2014, 03:33:49 PM

Hey, I know the blueberry addiction has gotten out of hand, but that's no way to describe DG.  :mad:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

AstraZenica is advertising a diabetes pill that removes sugar from your bloodstream.

Eat your cake and don't get fat.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 27, 2014, 06:06:13 PM
AstraZenica is advertising a diabetes pill that removes sugar from your bloodstream.

Finally science fulfills its promise.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 27, 2014, 06:06:13 PM

Are you talking about Farxiga?  The side effects sound fun.