News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 01:12:13 PM
Woman receives text message reply from dead grandmother :lol:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-29649603

My grandfather sent me an email asking a question, I didn't check that account for a few days, then he had a heart attack and died, I went to the funeral, etc., and then saw the question like a week after he sent it.

Still sad about that.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

I liked this: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jenlewis/youve-been-swiped

QuoteThis Is What Happens When You Send Tinder Guys The Emails From "You've Got Mail"

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/16/politics/hunter-biden-discharged-from-navy/index.html

Washington (CNN) -- The Navy Reserve discharged Vice President Joe Biden's son Hunter this year after he tested positive for cocaine, U.S. officials confirmed.

The discharge of Biden, a 44-year-old lawyer and managing partner at an investment firm, was first reported by the Wall Street Journal on Thursday. He confirmed the report in a statement to CNN.

"It was the honor of my life to serve in the U.S. Navy, and I deeply regret and am embarrassed that my actions led to my administrative discharge. I respect the Navy's decision. With the love and support of my family, I'm moving forward," he said.

Biden was commissioned as an ensign in May 2013 and assigned as a public affairs officer in a Norfolk, Virginia-based reserve unit. A month later, he tested positive for cocaine, and he was discharged in February, according to the report.

The U.S. official said the Navy never had contact with the vice president's office over the issue, and that standard procedure for failed drug tests is administrative discharge. The vice president's office didn't comment on the report.

Hunter Biden is the younger of Biden's two sons. His older brother, Beau Biden, is Delaware's attorney general and a major in the Delaware Army National Guard. He was deployed for a year in Iraq.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

1914 map showing how long it'd take to travel from London to anywhere in the world.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: The Larch on October 18, 2014, 06:56:57 AM
1914 map showing how long it'd take to travel from London to anywhere in the world.

Is travel 'better' now?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on October 18, 2014, 06:56:57 AM

The British Empire must have been tough to manage with it taking a month or more just to travel to some of its outposts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on October 18, 2014, 08:08:05 AM
Is travel 'better' now?

Pretty sure I could go from London to Alaska now in less than 40 hours rather than 40 days.  Heck it looks like it would have taken 10 or more days to get to Austin from London and now we have direct flights.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2014, 12:48:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 18, 2014, 08:08:05 AM
Is travel 'better' now?

Pretty sure I could go from London to Alaska now in less than 40 hours rather than 40 days.  Heck it looks like it would have taken 10 or more days to get to Austin from London and now we have direct flights.

It being mongers I'm sure he was just dreaming about the time when travelling meant adventuring.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk