News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Well that was odd.
I think I just had a mini power cut. The lights flickered for a second. When this happened I was watching a video on my computer. The computer just froze in place, still switched on and normal looking but everything totally unresponsive.  :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on September 27, 2014, 05:54:40 PM
Well that was odd.
I think I just had a mini power cut. The lights flickered for a second. When this happened I was watching a video on my computer. The computer just froze in place, still switched on and normal looking but everything totally unresponsive.  :hmm:

:o Uncredible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Earlier today I bumped into a woman I know, she was three sheets to the wind; there are very few things more pitying/pitiful than a women the worse for wear.   <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

What Mongers means is, he fucked her.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Probably found her under a tree and pissed on her.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

The new Conservative Party leader had his boyfriend, the nephew of the President of the Dominican Republic, tag along to the party conference. It was fun seeing awkward looking people all saying it was a perfectly natural thing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

There's a botanical garden at the Florida Institute of Technology here in Melbourne.  They have benches with little placards on them giving the names of donors and sometimes a quote the donor picked.  I saw one of them yesterday which read:

Midway upon life's journey
I found myself within a dark forest
-Dante

Of course, the opening lines to the Inferno.  I thought that was a strange choice given that the forest is an allegory for difficulty encountered after abandoning "The true path."  Though that would have been great if it had been dedicated as a memorial for someone the donor didn't like.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

They have netflix here now so im trying it. Its....ok....but doesnt seem to have as much stuff as i had thought.
And subtitles are only in german, whivh makes no sense
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on September 28, 2014, 09:07:52 AM
There's a botanical garden at the Florida Institute of Technology here in Melbourne.  They have benches with little placards on them giving the names of donors and sometimes a quote the donor picked.  I saw one of them yesterday which read:

-Dante

Of course, the opening lines to the Inferno.  I thought that was a strange choice given that the forest is an allegory for difficulty encountered after abandoning "The true path."  Though that would have been great if it had been dedicated as a memorial for someone the donor didn't like.

Interesting.  Although the forest is not always a negative metaphor;  it also represents the state of nature, the natural world, untouched by man.

Maladict

Quote from: Savonarola on September 28, 2014, 09:07:52 AM

-Dante

Yes, but anyone who recognizes the lines also knows what happens next. It is the point at which things take a turn for the better, all the way to paradise.

Savonarola

Quote from: Maladict on September 29, 2014, 09:27:12 AM
Yes, but anyone who recognizes the lines also knows what happens next. It is the point at which things take a turn for the better, all the way the paradise.

A mere 66 cantos later, and with much infernal difficulty along the way.   :P ;)

Dante must still face the three beasts; it's not really until he meets Virgil some lines later that things take a turn for the better.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I've ordered an office chair for my home. Sitting on a kitchen chair in front of the PC for more than two hours hurts my butt. :Embarrass:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.