News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2014, 09:45:17 AM
How much thought should you put into a gift that will wind up in some warehouse?
If it's nice it'll end up in his presidential museum.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2014, 09:17:52 AM
I like how South Korea just gave him some random electronics.

Dude, have you seen how expensive OEM stereo cables are in stores??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Does the president get to use the stuff?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on August 06, 2014, 10:17:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 06, 2014, 10:01:07 AM
Yup, pretty much

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/climatologist-arctic-carbon-release-could-mean-%E2%80%9Cwere-fucked%E2%80%9D

I'm still losing sleep over the ozone hole.
:huh: The ozone layer is healing because we banned the chemicals that were destroying it. Hardly the example someone who doesn't want us to do anything about climate change should be citing.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 06, 2014, 09:51:04 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2014, 09:45:17 AM
How much thought should you put into a gift that will wind up in some warehouse?
If it's nice it'll end up in his presidential museum.

Or in a national museum.  There is a distinction between personal gifts to the President and gifts to the United States through the President.

derspiess

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 06, 2014, 10:35:39 AM
:huh: The ozone layer is healing because we banned the chemicals that were destroying it. Hardly the example someone who doesn't want us to do anything about climate change should be citing.

But we were fucked back then when it happened!  I remember Lewis Black screaming about how we broke the sky :(

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on August 06, 2014, 10:50:26 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 06, 2014, 10:35:39 AM

But we were fucked back then when it happened!  I remember Lewis Black screaming about how we broke the sky :(
And that was completely true. And what do you know, we were inspired to act and fix the problem before it was too late.

We are not acting this time.

1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

How should we act this time, Tim?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 06, 2014, 11:05:18 AM
How should we act this time, Tim?

Reduce Greenhouse Gas emissions.  Of course we are kind of doing that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 06, 2014, 11:00:20 AM
And that was completely true. And what do you know, we were inspired to act and fix the problem before it was too late.

We are not acting this time.

The problem with the ozone never got solved. It it listed as a risk for someone visiting patagonia or antarctica.

In any event, I don't think there is really anything we (meaning the US) can do to significantly change the trajectory of global warming. Anything we do to slow consumption just makes the consumption in other countries cheaper. It seems a much more effective way to reduce the impact of global warming would be to take steps to slow or halt the production/exploitation of fossil fuels. That doesn't seem very likely.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014