Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Samsung Galaxy S4: 0.- with 2 year contract
Philips earphones with noise canceling buds: 29.99
Subscription to Spotify: 9.99/month
Listening to "Sympathy for the Devil" in a subway full of Jehova's Witnesses: priceless
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on July 19, 2014, 06:51:36 AM
I'm in Nagasaki. I've came to a cafe which is apparently famous for inventing one of the signature foods of the city.
It's pretty simple but nice. Not expensive either, normal food price. Cool cafe too. Very showa style。
The couple at the table next to me though... A pretty regular middle aged couple seemingly.... But they've ordered only one dish between them. can you even do that? What the....
:huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Josquius

In the US' defense though, modern asian architecture is pretty much just cement.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

According to a recent poll, 36% of Austrians blame Serbia for WW1. 31% think it was Austria's fault, 14% blame Germany, 12% the Entente, and 25% didn't have an opinion. Which makes for 118% (though I suppose there might have been the option to select more than one).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 19, 2014, 03:07:23 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 19, 2014, 02:56:52 AM
DGuller, artist, would know.
I am very creative where it counts:  problem solving.  I'm just not "creative" when it comes to fapping out so-called art.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on July 19, 2014, 07:28:32 AM

Yeah, but there's a difference.  In another three years, our concrete from the 20th century will still be here.  Theirs will not.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 19, 2014, 08:13:04 AM
In the US' defense though, modern asian architecture is pretty much just cement.

I'm not really sure why this is something we need a defense on.

Anyway, shouldn't you be writing "defence"?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

In the US, defence is on the border with Mexico.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2014, 12:43:53 AM
QuoteMan charged with shooting friend in botched test of bulletproof vest
Victim proclaimed on video he was ready to be shot before errant bullet

By Colin Campbell, The Baltimore Sun

10:38 PM EDT, July 17, 2014

Three people stood in the basement of a Westport home before 4 a.m. Wednesday to film a stunt in which they planned to test a bulletproof vest. Darnell Mitchell put it on, looked into a video camera and proclaimed himself ready to take "deuce deuce in the chest."

But, police said, Mark Ramiro missed the body armor when he pulled the trigger on the .22 caliber handgun, and he now faces murder charges in the 28-year-old's death.

The video ends as Ramiro dropped the gun and both friends rushed to Mitchell's aid. They drove from Ramiro's apartment in the 2200 block of Cedley St. to University of Maryland Medical Center, where Mitchell was pronounced dead within minutes, police said.

Officers were called to the hospital around 4 a.m., police said. Detectives found the Cannon EO7 video camera in the basement and got a warrant for the footage, which showed the incident described in charging documents against Ramiro.

Ramiro's mother referred a reporter to his attorney, Christopher Flohr, who could not be reached Thursday night.

Ramiro faces first- and second-degree murder and two gun charges, police said.

A spokesman for the Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office referred questions about the severity of the charges to the city court comissioner's office. Representatives there could not be reached for comment Thursday night.

The state's attorney's spokesman, Mark Cheshire, said city prosecutors had sought the second-degree murder charge, but the court commissioner imposed an additional first-degree charge. Asked why prosecutors sought the murder charge at all, Cheshire said only that, after an investigation, "we thought that was the appropriate charge."

I know The Man likes the apray-and-pray approach to filing charges nowadays...but two different murder charges for one death?

CountDeMoney

mongers

Why does a day when you do very little, often seem so tiring?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Well you said "you."  I don't know from Mongers.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)