News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Well, my opinion of BigLaw may be colored by how and in what capacity I work for them.

That said, it's been often confirmed by actual associates that the job is atrocious and the people are terrible (partly due to the job being atrocious, partly due to most lawyers being terrible).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

Quote from: Ideologue on July 18, 2014, 07:32:58 PM
Well, my opinion of BigLaw may be colored by how and in what capacity I work for them.

That said, it's been often confirmed by actual associates that the job is atrocious and the people are terrible (partly due to the job being atrocious, partly due to most lawyers being terrible).

what i found interesting researching and writing bench memoranda this summer were the number of attorneys who vigorously argued positions which were clearly wrong. it made me wonder how many attorneys take on clients whose circumstances make a successful suit unlikely, the clear losers, and how many are simply incompetent at their job

Ideologue

I meant terrible people, not necessarily incompetent.

Though maybe you did too: doing obviously unnecessary things (on the client's dime) is BigLaw's bread and butter.  Or has been; corporations are starting to realize padding when they see it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

Quote from: Ideologue on July 18, 2014, 08:03:22 PMThough maybe you did too: doing obviously unnecessary things (on the client's dime) is BigLaw's bread and butter.

maybe, but they also do their best to win for their client because reputation is at stake (and probably bonuses). i'd think most attorneys would too, since poor reputations don't help careers

Ideologue

Yes, which is the moral-intellectual underpinning to billpadding.  "If I miss ______, Client will be put at a disadvantage!  Zealous advocacy requires ______ done, whether it costs $800,000 or not!"  And maybe it's even sometimes necessary.  Necessity is the mother of inefficiency, it seems.
Kinemalogue

Grey Fox

Looking for a better internet package sucks.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 18, 2014, 09:43:31 PM

I wish I had options. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2014, 09:48:31 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 18, 2014, 09:43:31 PM

I wish I had options. :(

I have fake options. Different providers, same packages.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

I stick with Time Warner's Cable Internet because I can't be bothered to switch anymore.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

QuoteMan charged with shooting friend in botched test of bulletproof vest
Victim proclaimed on video he was ready to be shot before errant bullet

By Colin Campbell, The Baltimore Sun

10:38 PM EDT, July 17, 2014

Three people stood in the basement of a Westport home before 4 a.m. Wednesday to film a stunt in which they planned to test a bulletproof vest. Darnell Mitchell put it on, looked into a video camera and proclaimed himself ready to take "deuce deuce in the chest."

But, police said, Mark Ramiro missed the body armor when he pulled the trigger on the .22 caliber handgun, and he now faces murder charges in the 28-year-old's death.

The video ends as Ramiro dropped the gun and both friends rushed to Mitchell's aid. They drove from Ramiro's apartment in the 2200 block of Cedley St. to University of Maryland Medical Center, where Mitchell was pronounced dead within minutes, police said.

Officers were called to the hospital around 4 a.m., police said. Detectives found the Cannon EO7 video camera in the basement and got a warrant for the footage, which showed the incident described in charging documents against Ramiro.

Ramiro's mother referred a reporter to his attorney, Christopher Flohr, who could not be reached Thursday night.

Ramiro faces first- and second-degree murder and two gun charges, police said.

A spokesman for the Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office referred questions about the severity of the charges to the city court comissioner's office. Representatives there could not be reached for comment Thursday night.

The state's attorney's spokesman, Mark Cheshire, said city prosecutors had sought the second-degree murder charge, but the court commissioner imposed an additional first-degree charge. Asked why prosecutors sought the murder charge at all, Cheshire said only that, after an investigation, "we thought that was the appropriate charge."

Ideologue

Unless they know something we don't, there's absolutely no possibly of a murder charge sticking.  What are they doing?  Was one of the gun charges a felony or something?

Leaving aside the question of whether he should be charged with anything other than the gun charges in the first place.  FFS, this is what we use state resources on instead of hiring perfectly qualified administrative personnel?
Kinemalogue

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on July 18, 2014, 04:50:46 PM
It almost sounds like someone is trying to convince himself there are no better alternatives to a soul crushing career in law.  :P
Few things are more soul-crushing than "being creative" for a living.

Ideologue

DGuller, artist, would know.
Kinemalogue

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on July 19, 2014, 02:56:52 AM
DGuller, artist, would know.
I am very creative where it counts:  problem solving.  I'm just not "creative" when it comes to fapping out so-called art.

Josquius

I'm in Nagasaki. I've came to a cafe which is apparently famous for inventing one of the signature foods of the city.
It's pretty simple but nice. Not expensive either, normal food price. Cool cafe too. Very showa style。
The couple at the table next to me though... A pretty regular middle aged couple seemingly.... But they've ordered only one dish between them. can you even do that? What the....
██████
██████
██████