News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

This happened some time ago but I just heard about this.  I blame Tim.

The most embarrassing interview Fox News has ever done?

It is very funny but also concerning anyone actually watches Fox News.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/is-this-the-most-embarrassing-interview-fox-news-has-ever-do

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on July 11, 2014, 11:15:28 AM

Only thing I could spot that was wrong is that a thick flannel jacket (usually in red and black) is called a Mac jacket. Nobody calls it a Lumber Jacket.

Habbaku

Kerfuffle is not unique to Canadians.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on July 11, 2014, 11:34:01 AM
Kerfuffle is not unique to Canadians.

Neither is Donair.  The first time I had one was in Berlin in the early 90s.

Maximus

A lot of that is probably regional. I've never heard anyone say "chesterfield" or "donair", and "hydro" is IME limited to those provinces with provincial power companies named Hydro.

Kraft dinner is something I picked up when I moved to the US rather than the opposite.

I can't say regarding the alcohol or hockey-related terms, otherwise the rest seems about right. Some, as Habs pointed out, may not be Canadian-specific.

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on July 11, 2014, 11:51:19 AM
A lot of that is probably regional. I've never heard anyone say "chesterfield" or "donair", and "hydro" is IME limited to those provinces with provincial power companies named Hydro.

Kraft dinner is something I picked up when I moved to the US rather than the opposite.

I can't say regarding the alcohol or hockey-related terms, otherwise the rest seems about right. Some, as Habs pointed out, may not be Canadian-specific.

FWIW, Barenaked Ladies used the terms "chesterfield" and "Kraft dinner" in the same song.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2014, 11:22:34 AM

Only thing I could spot that was wrong is that a thick flannel jacket (usually in red and black) is called a Mac jacket. Nobody calls it a Lumber Jacket.

It's regional. "Lumberjacket" in Ontario. Never heard "had the biscuit" or "Giv'n'r" here.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2014, 11:56:23 AM
FWIW, Barenaked Ladies used the terms "chesterfield" and "Kraft dinner" in the same song.
Like I said, regional. They probably say 'eh?' at the end of their sentences too.

Valmy

I am pretty sure they also sang 'aboot' a few times as well.  Those Canadian bastards.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2014, 11:59:42 AM
I am pretty sure they also sang 'aboot' a few times as well.  Those Canadian bastards.
That's another one I've never heard

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on July 11, 2014, 11:51:19 AM

Everyone I know says chesterfield.  We also use couch from time to time but everyone knows that is referring to a chesterfield.  I think you have been away from Canada too long if you dont know what a Donair is.  We have donair shops every few blocks here. 

Maximus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2014, 12:01:22 PM
Everyone I know says chesterfield.  We also use couch from time to time but everyone knows that is referring to a chesterfield.  I think you have been away from Canada too long if you dont know what a Donair is.  We have donair shops every few blocks here.
All of which is not disputing anything I said, including the claim that many of these terms are regional.

Valmy

I demand to see a regional soft drink map for Canada.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on July 11, 2014, 12:02:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2014, 12:01:22 PM
All of which is not disputing anything I said, including the claim that many of these terms are regional.

True, my point is that the region you hail from is not that representative of common sayings in Canada. ;)