Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Put something in the garden yesterday and it was made in Latvia. :surprise:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Yeah, CNN. I wouldn't say stunned. But okay, you have the right to go a little over board when cartoon, controversy and Denmark are in the same headline.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/14/world/europe/denmark-cartoon-controversy-voteman/index.html?hpt=hp_c4
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on May 14, 2014, 05:57:15 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 14, 2014, 05:36:00 PM
Well, at this point in time it's quite normal. If HR goons implement a "if you've been unemployed for longer than (insert an arbitrary period of time) then you're essentially unemployable anymore" we'll end up with an unemployable lost generation.

I'm guessing we already have one, made up of 40+ yo dudes whose employer went under or were laid off in an ERE.

Yup, those are really fucked up, young people can still bounce back but a 40+ or 50+ person laid out in these last few years, even more if blue collar, have very few chances in the future.

Josquius

Howso?
40+ people have the experience everyone wants.
Under 30s have....err...hair?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2014, 06:49:08 PM
Howso?

Young people work for peanuts, older people have the nasty habit of wanting a better salary.

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2014, 06:49:08 PM
Howso?

I think you have a poor grasp of what 40+ year olds have and what "everyone wants".

garbon

Everyone wants the sex.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Not with 40+ year olds though.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

The nurse who took a blood sample today, said I had nice veins.  :cool:

Hey, at my age I'll take any compliment I can get from a woman.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2014, 01:10:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 12:29:35 PM
What exactly is a gap in work history supposed to red flag?  Suspicion you might be a housewife?

Well, I didn't say it was fair.  But I'm guessing it may raise some suspicion that the person in question isn't responsible enough to keep a job, was lazy in finding new employment, or had something wrong with them that kept previous potential employers from hiring them.

Oh sure, and you give me the  :huh: when I say it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on May 14, 2014, 06:28:56 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 14, 2014, 05:57:15 PM
Well, at this point in time it's quite normal. If HR goons implement a "if you've been unemployed for longer than (insert an arbitrary period of time) then you're essentially unemployable anymore" we'll end up with an unemployable lost generation.

I'm guessing we already have one, made up of 40+ yo dudes whose employer went under or were laid off in an ERE.

Yup, those are really fucked up, young people can still bounce back but a 40+ or 50+ person laid out in these last few years, even more if blue collar, have very few chances in the future.

Thank you for noticing.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on May 14, 2014, 05:45:12 PM

Along with a generation of record corporate profits and booming stock markets.

Why bother hiring people or even raising wages, when you can plow that money into executive compensation instead while dumping it into the market? 

Josquius

Well, I've started using the air conditioner. Summer is solidly here. I'll miss air conditioners when I go back to the uk. They're one of the nice aspects of japan
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2014, 08:46:32 PM
Quote from: sbr on May 14, 2014, 05:45:12 PM

Along with a generation of record corporate profits and booming stock markets.

Why bother hiring people or even raising wages, when you can plow that money into executive compensation instead while dumping it into the market? 

:console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.