News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2014, 10:57:44 AM
A buddy of mine got bored brewing beer and built his own still.  I guess homemade moonshine is the trendy thing now.
I hope his still isn't in his house. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

$1200 for a new water heater...I'm getting ripped off. Two guys came out to do it for $950 but wouldn't work because my place apparently isn't up to code.

It is like $450 in the store...I'm almost inclined to try to do the install myself, but I forsee a mega disaster.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on May 13, 2014, 05:03:45 PM
$1200 for a new water heater...I'm getting ripped off. Two guys came out to do it for $950 but wouldn't work because my place apparently isn't up to code.

It is like $450 in the store...I'm almost inclined to try to do the install myself, but I forsee a mega disaster.
:hmm: What could possibly go wrong?

Capetan Mihali

Aren't you glad you bought instead of renting, Dorsey?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 13, 2014, 05:29:25 PM
Aren't you glad you bought instead of renting, Dorsey?

Heh, if he was renting, he could just get used to not having hot water.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

There are several cons instead of renting:
1) My place has lost most of its value. On the plus side I bought a shithole for $98k (one of my friends calls it "the crackhouse"), but I think it is worth ~$40k now. Oops.
2) I bought a place based on it being nearby some of the clients I served at the time. Good God that was stupid. Now I work sort of far away. I really can't emphasize enough how stupid this was.
3) Random expenses. Not so bad actually. Shit like this only comes up once a year or so.
4) I've been here 6 years. There is something to be said about living in a place for a year or two, blasting the shit out of it, and moving on. I'm still seeing spills and stains from years ago.
5) If I want to relocate, I have to figure out to do with this shithole.

The pros:
1) My mortgage is like $330 a month. Even after HOA dues, I'm probably saving $500 a month from renting in a comparable type of place. Over 6 years that is about $36,000 in savings. The tax benefits kick that up a bit.
2) I don't have to argue with some rental company about them jacking up my rent every year.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on May 13, 2014, 05:44:26 PM
There are several cons instead of renting:
1) My place has lost most of its value. On the plus side I bought a shithole for $98k (one of my friends calls it "the crackhouse"), but I think it is worth ~$40k now. Oops.
2) I bought a place based on it being nearby some of the clients I served at the time. Good God that was stupid. Now I work sort of far away. I really can't emphasize enough how stupid this was.
3) Random expenses. Not so bad actually. Shit like this only comes up once a year or so.
4) I've been here 6 years. There is something to be said about living in a place for a year or two, blasting the shit out of it, and moving on. I'm still seeing spills and stains from years ago.
5) If I want to relocate, I have to figure out to do with this shithole.

The pros:
1) My mortgage is like $330 a month. Even after HOA dues, I'm probably saving $500 a month from renting in a comparable type of place. Over 6 years that is about $36,000 in savings. The tax benefits kick that up a bit.
2) I don't have to argue with some rental company about them jacking up my rent every year.

I commend your honesty; sure as hell beats having to listen to some upper-middle class twit recounting how they've never put a foot wrong regarding property*/life*. :cheers:

* this is surprisingly common here; we Brits tend towards complacency.  :bowler:   <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Capetan Mihali

Out of curiosity, how much do HOA dues run you?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

alfred russel

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 13, 2014, 05:58:21 PM
Out of curiosity, how much do HOA dues run you?

That is a good question. $270 technically, but we are trying to pay off a loan we took out to get some work done. I think $200 will be the normal HOA dues.

Ideologue

$270 a month?  They'd best fix my water heater, rake leaves, and mow my lawn for $270 a month.

Man, I'd love to have a $300 mortgage though, even in a crackhouse. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on May 13, 2014, 06:07:10 PM
$270 a month?  They'd best fix my water heater, rake leaves, and mow my lawn for $270 a month.

My first house was 400/mo in the 90's. Nice neighborhood too. Lots of Olds not bothering anybody.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Well, part of it is a loan.

They do rake leaves and mow the lawn. They also maintain a pool and tennis court and cover homeowner's insurance.

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on May 13, 2014, 06:17:05 PM

Well, part of it is a loan.

They do rake leaves and mow the lawn. They also maintain a pool and tennis court.

Oh.  Well, that seems fair. :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Crack houses have gone upmarket.

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 13, 2014, 06:13:01 PM

My first house was 400/mo in the 90's. Nice neighborhood too. Lots of Olds not bothering anybody.

Happiness.

God save me from turds who think they're 'property developers'  :rolleyes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"