Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

You've been travelling for years!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Not necessarily, every Danish middle-class (probably lower income too, but Japan is somewhat pricey) kid could take a year off travelling the world if they put their minds to it. Get a job in high school and couple that with educational support from the state after they hit 18.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

You  can use state provided education money to dick around in Japan for 9 months?  :huh:

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2014, 08:02:18 AM
You  can use state provided education money to dick around in Japan for 9 months?  :huh:

Yes, sure. Education is free, and on top of that you get some money which you can save up (so that students from the poorest families can buy materials, papers, a printer or whatever (but everyone can get it for some reason)). It's not much when you're only in high school, but with a job on the side you can save up enough for extensive low-budget travelling since most at this age live for free with their parents.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 12, 2014, 07:16:13 AM
I have a job in Japan and in Sweden I was way below the poverty line, didn't travel much from there.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2014, 08:46:55 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 12, 2014, 07:16:13 AM
I have a job in Japan and in Sweden I was way below the poverty line, didn't travel much from there.

You are from England. That's travelling.

Ideologue

My ancestors went across an ocean so I wouldn't have to.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 12, 2014, 09:05:15 AM
Is he a: megatraveller.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

That's living abroad.
Travelling is going on an extended holiday, moving around a lot. Work kept down to a month or two in any one place maximum before moving onto the next place.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Liep on May 12, 2014, 07:16:39 AM
Not necessarily, every Danish middle-class (probably lower income too, but Japan is somewhat pricey) kid could take a year off travelling the world if they put their minds to it. Get a job in high school and couple that with educational support from the state after they hit 18.
Is that what it was back in the 8th century when they started travelling to England? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

At least he wasn't the New Era.

:nerd:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2014, 09:36:08 AM

That's living abroad.
Travelling is going on an extended holiday, moving around a lot. Work kept down to a month or two in any one place maximum before moving onto the next place.

So, you could travel?

Jacob

My cousin - who is a single mother and has access to exactly zero family wealth of any kind - spent half a year traveling in South America (with her young son) while she finished her degree. She'd arranged it so she only had one course or something, and could submit the work remotely. Between the low cost of living there and student grants (and the lack of tuition costs) it wasn't too big a stretch (weird as it may seem to those of us in places with less support for students).

Her degree was in some sort of Latin American studies, though, so it was completely frivolous (though I don't think that impacted the planning of the trip much, other than providing a motivation to go).

The Minsky Moment

This was posted today on the Becker-Posner blog:

In memoriam: Gary S. Becker, 1930-2014.

The Becker-Posner blog is terminated.

Richard A. Posner
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson