News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Norgy on May 02, 2014, 11:40:39 AM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/05/02/steve_hickey_republican_south_dakota_legislator_pens_fantastically_crude.html

QuoteConsider this an open letter to the medical and psychological communities in South Dakota. The subject is homosexuality, which is about to be a front-page topic for the next few years in our state. I'm asking the doctors who practice in our state, is the science really settled on this issue or is it more the case that you feel silenced and intimidated?
Certainly there are board-certified doctors in our state who will attest to what seems self-evident to so many: gay sex is not good for the body or mind. Pardon a crude comparison but regarding men with men, we are talking about a one-way alley meant only for the garbage truck to go down. Frankly, I'd question the judgment of doctor who says it's all fine.

:hmm:

Prediction: Does not ask for anal.
QuoteThis indeed is a matter of being on the wrong side of history considering that historically, homosexuality has been a notable marker of the downfall of past civilizations, not their rise.
:lol: Literally every British political memoir I've read contains an anecdote about campaigning somewhere, meeting a lovely old person who's been a party activist for years. First they'll reminisce about the time they met Attlee/Churchill/the Queen and then alarmingly digress into homosexuality causing the collapse of the Roman Empire. And the Greeks.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Good God. There's a Slate Plus service. You pay to get more Slate :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 02, 2014, 12:21:10 PM

Does anyone besides garbon use that? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Maybe they should market a Slate Minus; pay a bit more for getting no slate?

(not that I personally get the Slate aversion)

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 02, 2014, 12:29:23 PM

Meh - Slate is better than many online-only magazines (not that it doesn't also have ridiculous click-bait too).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 02, 2014, 11:12:58 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2014, 11:00:39 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 02, 2014, 10:59:13 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 09:35:50 AM
Language evolves.

Degeneration is indeed a possible evolution. However, it is not the preferred outcome, except for you perhaps.

I'm ignoring the accent on HVC's name as we speak.  :D

What "accent" is it btw? ;)

I'm ignoring it.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

They should pay me to read Slate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2014, 09:33:00 AM
Timmay's spelling test found.

I lost a point on a spelling test once in sixth grade. Teacher error.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Quote from: Jacob on May 02, 2014, 12:29:23 PM

Me neither, but like HuffPo it has a very clear political slant (and one I can usually agree with). And like Beeb says, there's click bait galore. Not quite as bad as Buzzfeed, but close.

Norgy

Maybe you get: a clean Slate?  :hide:

Valmy

I like that Huffpo will have ads featuring hot babes on articles on the objectification and exploitation of women's bodies.  It is a brilliant commentary on the duality of humanity...or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

I've been using the Chrome plugin Downworthy for a while. Makes those click-bait sites more easy on the eye.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: Norgy on May 02, 2014, 01:33:17 PM
I've been using the Chrome plugin Downworthy for a while. Makes those click-bait sites more easy on the eye.

What's it do? The plugin, I mean.

Norgy

Quote from: Jacob on May 02, 2014, 03:01:49 PM
Quote from: Norgy on May 02, 2014, 01:33:17 PM

What's it do? The plugin, I mean.

Replace the hyperbole with more mundane words, mostly.