News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

That's probably the NSA making a record of your posts.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 25, 2014, 07:45:47 PM
There wouldn't be enough paper in the world to do that to the whole internet. Surely they just make digital records and print only at need.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Bought a mechanical skeleton sealant gun today, what did it have written on it?

"Made in England"   :huh:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

lustindarkness

Many freaks at the fair.  And that does not include the carnies.

Oh,  bbl, the pig race is about to start.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 25, 2014, 08:18:52 PM

Eat something deep fried for me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

SONOFABITCH. Ladies Home Journal is folding.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on April 25, 2014, 08:15:26 PM
Bought a mechanical skeleton sealant gun today, what did it have written on it?

"Made in England"   :huh:

Confused by the notion people still make things in England?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 25, 2014, 08:19:40 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on April 25, 2014, 08:18:52 PM

Eat something deep fried for me.

Arteries= clogged.  Toilet= about to be clogged.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2014, 08:07:59 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 25, 2014, 07:45:47 PM
There wouldn't be enough paper in the world to do that to the whole internet. Surely they just make digital records and print only at need.

Not the whole internet, just Dorsey's posts.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on April 25, 2014, 07:43:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2014, 04:21:23 PM

They're part of a marketing scheme where the payout is based on either (or both) of clicks on links or simply posting links in trafficked spots. So, say, they may get $0.01 for every 1000 views of their spam link. So they spam it everywhere, and every time someone replies to the thread it ups their count.

How does printing our threads tie into this?

At Shareholder Value, Inc., we had a couple analysts in Corporate Security that tracked social media, forums and the like for any traffic, discourse or negativity about the company coming from employees' accounts;  once identified, they were consistently monitored.  Printing it all just gets it put into the Permanent Record.

I'm just sayin'.

Ideologue

Jesus Christ, that's a real job?  I have the skills to do that job.  It practically is my job.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Yup.  That's a real job.  Look for stuff like "analyst", "threat analysis" and "business intelligence".

That's what happens when companies go out and hire ex-FBI types to run security;  they turn security departments into little, tiny FBIs, for no real reason whatsoever other than that's what they know to do, and they know nothing else.

Ideologue

I think I'll look into that.

Tangentially, one of my doc review PMs may or may not have gone to work for an NSA contractor. -_-

I'm hoping that somehow the surveillance state can be my salvation--analyzing foreign governments' emails is, I reckon, basically doc reivew--but I probably couldn't get a security clearance. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on April 26, 2014, 01:50:31 AM
I think I'll look into that.

You're overqualified with a law degree, and nobody wants a lawyer doing that stuff-- you people get too hung up on "legalities."  And you're under qualified, no IT certs.  So solly.

QuoteI probably couldn't get a security clearance. <_<

Probably not.  Don't worry, I doubt I could either.  :lol:

Ideologue

I'm thinking about taking some programming courses/reading some books/whatever.  I don't know what coders do or how they do it, but I can (probably?) learn and then, conceivably, profit.

Edit: God, I am so depressed.  And broke.  I'm about $50 away from having to borrow some cash from my parents.
Kinemalogue