News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Btw for some reason it makes the Indian owner of the downtown Subway nervous that I keep banking my Subway rewards points & won't spend them. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2014, 10:40:14 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 10:19:35 AM
I think you may enjoy what the "Der Mann" bakeries sell as "Soft Italo": it's a soft Italian bread, about a foot long, with Italian salami, prosciutto, dried peppers, olives, cheese and tomato sauce and rucola (or rocket salad). Of course it sells for the whopping price of EUR 3.10. I sometimes pick it up as my lunch.

I'm obviously not as up on all the options as a native, but it sems a lot of those sort of sandwiches don't have a lot of meat and veggies.

GF, it really depends what you get. They usually have options in the $5-6 range, as specials. When I go, I usually get the special of the day, which is a foot long, chips, and a drink for $6.

At one point when I was eating out almost every day Subway was a staple - cheap, reasonably nutritious, and fast.

But good God man, cut out the daily chips and soft drink.  That stuff is empty calories.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2014, 10:41:52 AM
They recently got sued because someone measured their subs and found they were, on average, more like 11 inches. Subway was arguing that their "foot long" advertising wasn't meant to convey a measurement, but was a marketing slogan. Or something like that.

I heard about that.  Unless somehow they were skimping on the meat, cheese, or veggies, I don't care if the bread is sometimes less than 12".  I usually don't eat the ends of the bread anyway.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2014, 10:46:56 AM
But good God man, cut out the daily chips and soft drink.  That stuff is empty calories.

I go with the baked barbecue chips and coke zero :)

Grey Fox

Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2014, 10:41:52 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 10:37:11 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2014, 10:19:15 AM
How much is a foot long in the US nowadays?

Still 12 inches.

They recently got sued because someone measured their subs and found they were, on average, more like 11 inches. Subway was arguing that their "foot long" advertising wasn't meant to convey a measurement, but was a marketing slogan. Or something like that.

It's a good defence.

I wonder how it would go down here since it's expressely spelled out has 12 inches and 6 inches.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

I've never got how other people call subway cheap. It has always struck me as pretty expensive for just a sandwich
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on April 24, 2014, 10:52:33 AM
I've never got how other people call subway cheap. It has always struck me as pretty expensive for just a sandwich

Compared to pretty much all the other sub options out there, it's cheap.  Plus, for lunch I'll usually get a $5 sub to go, bring it back to the office and wash it down with a soda I brought from home.  ~$5.50 for a filling lunch is pretty cheap.

Iormlund

Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2014, 10:16:37 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 09:53:44 AM
Well, there's plenty vegetarian places around, too. And instead of hunting one of our four Subway shops, you might just walk into a regular bakery, most of which will also sell sandwiches, salads and more. ;)

I may have a different take on healthy. I need to cram as many calories into myself as possible--salads and vegetarian food doesn't cut it.

Your puny Euro sandwiches don't cut it either. Also, the processed subway bread, while in every tangible way inferior to what is sold in a standard euro bakery, I sort of prefer (I am a barbarian  :(). A foot long sub from subway, with a bag of chips and coke, is a decent sized lunch, fast, cheap, and while not really all that healthy, isn't as bad as it could be.

I don't know about Austria, but pretty much all over Spain you can eat rather well for at most 10€. It should be a crime to go to a fast food joint.

As for portions, if my mate - an ex basketball pro with ridiculously high metabolism - has enough, it should certainly be enough for you.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 10:44:41 AM
Btw for some reason it makes the Indian owner of the downtown Subway nervous that I keep banking my Subway rewards points & won't spend them.

White devil.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2014, 10:46:56 AM

I need calories any way I can get them. They aren't ideal, but better than nothing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on April 24, 2014, 10:52:33 AM

It's Euro bias. Our cheap food is fast food food, not pakis selling on street corner 2£ sandwiches.

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 10:44:41 AM

He's pretty sure the day is coming that he's going to have to eat a 400-500$ orders on your points sometime soon.

derspiess

Ed Anger

I still have a Grimace glass from the 70's.

Birdy can die in a fire.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive