And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 15, 2014, 04:39:06 PM
Not strictly on topic, but I found this interesting:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/conflict-with-russia-raises-buried-questions-of-german-identity-a-963014.html

Wow that is pretty horrifying.

QuoteThe flipside to Germany's longing for Russia is its desire to differentiate itself from the West. Fundamental opposition to the West's putative superficiality is seen as being part of the Russian soul: The perceived busyness and money-grubbing ways of the Western man stand in contrast to the East's supposed depth of emotion and spirituality. "When something is romanticized, there is always an antidemocratic streak," says Baberowski. It privileges harmony over conflict, unity over confrontation.

Holy fuck.

QuoteThe question of guilt has created a link between Germans and Russians, but the issue evaporated fairly quickly for the Russians after the war. Unlike the French, Scandinavians and Dutch, the Russians don't tend to name and shame the Germans for crimes committed during the German occupation.

Wait so the Russians are ok with us being Nazis?  Sweet.

Seriously that almost makes me physically ill.  Surely Germans are not this contemptible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2014, 04:58:38 PM
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/conflict-with-russia-raises-buried-questions-of-german-identity-a-963014.html

What a crock of shit.  The only thing the Germans and Russians have in common are a hatred of Jews.

11B4V

Quote from: Norgy on April 15, 2014, 04:30:40 PM
Tell me how German foreign policy has improved with Merkel.
Like most countries in Europe, foreign policy is a fundamental cross-aisle thing between the big parties. An inheritance from the Cold War, mostly, but still true. The only significant change in German foreign policy happened during Willy Brandt's chancellorship.

:huh:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadBurgerMaker

Here you go Seedy:

I've since cut the ends of the front bumper and put end caps on it (it's somewhere between a "stubby" and a "mid-width" bumper now) and put the flare liners back in there behind the tires.  There's no lift, but I put those new flares on there to give it some more clearance.  Did just fine climbing up some shit last weekend, although since it's the longer wheelbase, it (and all the other 4 doors that went up there, lift or not) dragged a little on some center armor when I went over a particularly pointy rock. 

CountDeMoney

Very nice.  Aggressive-looking without being douchebaggy.  :thumbsup:

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2014, 06:25:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2014, 04:58:38 PM

What a crock of shit.  The only thing the Germans and Russians have in common are a hatred of Jews.

I don't know, Germany only really became "Western" after WWII.  Before that it was "Mitteleuropa", halfway between Western democracy and Russian despotism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2014, 08:28:25 PM
I don't know, Germany only really became "Western" after WWII.  Before that it was "Mitteleuropa", halfway between Western democracy and Russian despotism.

It had its own primacy as a cultural and intellectual center in the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries, one that fit with the rest of the nations that benefited from the Enlightenment. 

Sheilbh

I find it really interesting and heartening how the countries who were once victims of Mitteleuropa are now restoring the concept. Central Europe definitely exists again as distinct from West or East. It's very nice to see.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2014, 08:33:51 PM

It had its own primacy as a cultural and intellectual center in the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries, one that fit with the rest of the nations that benefited from the Enlightenment.

One could say the same thing about St. Petersburg.  I'd say the Prussian junkers were more like the Russians then they were like the French.  Hell much of Russia was run by Germans in the early 20th century.  Russia drew heavily on the Baltic German speaking aristocracy for it's military and bureaucracy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Power is out in like half of Toronto.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2014, 09:10:22 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2014, 08:33:51 PM

One could say the same thing about St. Petersburg.

No, not really.  Not by a long shot.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 15, 2014, 08:41:30 PM
I find it really interesting and heartening how the countries who were once victims of Mitteleuropa are now restoring the concept. Central Europe definitely exists again as distinct from West or East. It's very nice to see.

If it includes love affairs with dictatorships and embracing extremist propaganda I would find it rather disheartening.  And why wouldn't it?  Those were its hallmarks before.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive